I Rhaenys' P.O.V

En başından başla

"Right," I sighed softly, the weight of the conversation settling heavily upon me. "And so, after forging a close bond with House Baratheon, my uncle made a request of me. He asked for the honor of hosting my granddaughter and arranging a feast in celebration of her fourth nameday." Keeping my expression gentle and composed, I continued, "You see, my uncle held a deep affection for his sister, and seeing as Lucerys bears such a striking resemblance to my mother, he yearns to spend more time with her."

A profound silence followed my words, but to my surprise, it was not my cousin who broke it, but his wife. "You intend to take Princess Lucerys with you?" Her voice carried a note of concern, catching me off guard.

As I processed her unexpected reaction, realization dawned upon me. Despite Queen Alicent's disdain for Jacaerys and Joffrey, she held only admiration for Lucerys. My granddaughter had formed close friendships with the Queen's children, with Aemond imparting lessons on history, particularly about Old Valyria, and Helaena teaching her High Valyrian. It was not uncommon to find the two princesses sharing giggles and secrets in High Valyrian throughout the halls of the Red Keep.

Even the Queen herself had extended invitations to Lucerys, hosting tea parties in the garden and imparting lessons in embroidery. The bond between the young princess and the Queen's children had evidently touched a chord within Queen Alicent, softening her stance in a way I had not anticipated.

You'd think my granddaughter was another one of the Queen's brood, the way she dotes on her. It's one more reason why I can't bring myself to despise Queen Alicent entirely. After all, someone who loved and took care of my granddaughter like that, could not be all bad. Queen Alicent was but a child, playing an adult's cruel game and being tugged in a different direction. At the end of the day, she did not think of it as a Hightower, or a Green. No, Queen Alicent thought of as a mother, putting her children's safety first and furthermore. And for some reason, the Queen believes her children would be endangered if Rhaenyra were to ascend the throne. It's a concern that weighs heavily on her mind, pushing her to act in ways she might not otherwise consider.

But her worry now isn't solely about Lucerys' well-being. It's about the possibility of my taking her away from the Queen's influence. Everyone knows the Queen has been aiming to match her eldest son with her only daughter, and she's likely hoping for a similar match between Aemond and Lucerys. The thought of me whisking Lucerys off to Storm's End for a few moons doesn't sit well with her—it could disrupt their bond and put a spanner in her carefully laid plans.

Luckily, for her, she had nothing to worry about. As Crolys and I were also hoping for a match between her son and our granddaughter. But I'll keep that tidbit to myself for now. Let her stew in uncertainty for a while longer.

"Yes, and I was thinking of bringing Prince Aemond along," I added, catching them both off guard.

"My son?" Viserys asked, his surprise evident.

It took him a moment to realize who I was referring to, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of frustration. How could he forget his own son's name? I shot a glance at the Queen, who seemed to be restraining herself from giving Viserys a good smack. It was almost amusing to see her display a hint of fire beneath her typically demure exterior.

"Yes, your son," I replied, mustering a polite smile, though I couldn't muster much enthusiasm for Aemond. "I'd hate for Lucerys to be separated from her family completely. I might accompany her, but I won't always be able to be at her side. Besides, House Baratheon has extended an invitation for us to tour the Stormlands with them. It could be a valuable experience for them both."

Viserys nodded in agreement. "Yes, indeed."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. It shouldn't be this effortless to sway a king. My cousin's gullibility was becoming increasingly exasperating.