[ I ] New Life, New Jersey [ I ]

Start from the beginning

[ November 21st, 1978 ]

The moving was a success.

We had settled in, rather nicely. Neighbours greeted us with friendly grins, despite the fact I got weird glares at school.

That's the thing of being a new kid: absolutely everyone is wary of you for the first couple of days.

All except for...

"Hey!" A voice called out, to nobody in particular at the moment.

It was in the hallway, it could be one of the jocks to another.

"Hey!" They called again.

I kept my stride, clueless, until I felt a tap on my shoulder, and heard the breathless inhales of someone who sounded like they had just ran a mile.

I turned on my heel, looking at who nudged my shoulder, expecting the 'sorry, thought you were somebody else' card.

But that card wasn't played.

"Y/N, right?" He asked.

Before me stood a boy, no older than 16. He had black hair, green eyes. His hair was this form of perm, but it definitely didn't suit him.

I hummed in response, "Why?"

"My name's Jack. I might be your cousin..." He trailed off, looking down and picking his finger nails nervously.

"Jack?" I asked,

"Jack," He repeated.

"As in Jack Lorth?"

He nodded. "You remember me?"

"We used to fuck about, push each other on swings 'til we fell off when we were younger, didn't we?" I queried.

His face seemed to light up, "Yeah! Yeah, yeah, we did. Yeah..."

"You seem surprised," I raised an eyebrow, intrigued.

"Honestly? I didn't think you'd remember me." Jack chuckled, now grinning. "You've usually got a-"

"Memory like a goldfish," I finished his sentence, "I know... I swear I've still got a few bruises from when I fell off those swings," I responded, checking my arms jokingly.

He laughed. "I suppose they served as a reminder, hey?"

I nodded, smiling.

"So," He paused, looking around the hallway, "What brings you to New Jersey?"

"Parents."

"Parents?"

"Divorced."

"Oh."

"Mum wanted to move to here, so we did." I explained, "I had no say."

"I'm sorry,"