"Right imma go and get changed, see you in 5 minutes!" I walked off, grinning with excitement, she was definitely not straight, it was a rumour about her for ages, but she'd never seemed to say yes or no if anyone asked. Maybe I had a shot. I found myself lost in thought as I made my way to the changing rooms.

As I slipped off my clothes, I glanced around the room innocently, taking in the other girls and my surroundings, I was not checking them out. Some of them were talking, some laughing, but most were just changing without any real interaction. I found myself wishing I could be more like Demi, confident and outgoing. But then again, maybe there was something to be said for being a bit more reserved. After all, it had served me well so far. I just zoned out thinking of her until one girl piped up at me,

"What you staring at you lesbian? You checking me out or something?" She and her group of mates giggled, clearly trying to make a joke out of it. But I could tell it bothered me more than I let on.

I turned back to my bag, trying to ignore the girl and her friends. I didn't want to get into a confrontation with her, especially not now. I'd already managed to make one friend, and I didn't want to lose her too. But the more I tried to ignore them, the more it seemed to irritate me.

"Ohhh don't get too excited. I know you haven't seen a pair of boobs in your life, you're as flat as a door." She and her friends laughed, their voices shrill and mocking. I felt a hot flush creep up my neck, my heart racing. I wanted to say something, to defend myself, but the words got caught in my throat. I bit my lip, trying to stay calm, but it was hard.

Just then, Demi walked into the room. Her presence seemed to fill the space, and for a moment, everyone fell silent. She glanced around, taking in the tense atmosphere. "What's going on here?" she asked, her voice low but commanding. The girl who'd been teasing me turned pink, suddenly looking sheepish. I remained where I stood, back to Demi, tears in my eyes.

"Y'know I heard the whole thing, and I gotta say, it's really not cool. You should be lifting each other up, not tearing each other down. So why don't you find something else to talk about, or if you're really that bored, come find me and we can run together. I promise it's more fun than being mean to someone who's just trying to make a friend. You're standing on thin ice right now, I don't wanna hear another bad word come out of your mouth." Demi's voice was calm but firm, and her words carried weight.

"Apologise." Demi said, not raising her voice but with an edge to it that made it clear she meant business. The girl who had been teasing me opened her mouth to speak, she shifted uncomfortably before muttering, "Sorry." It was barely audible, but Demi accepted it anyway.

"It's alright.." I looked down, it wasn't alright though, the words were still getting to me, but I didn't want to make things worse. Demi placed a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it gently.

"Don't worry about her, she doesn't know what she's missing. You're a good person, and you're gonna make a lot of friends here. I can feel it." Her touch was comforting, and I could feel myself calming down a little.

The rest of the changing room gradually went back to normal, with the other girls chatting and laughing amongst themselves. I couldn't help but feel grateful for Demi's support. She hadn't had to step in, but she had anyway. It was a small act of kindness, but it meant the world to me.

As we got changed, I found myself telling Demi a little more about myself. About how I'd never really fit in at my old school, and how I'd always been a bit of a loner. She listened intently, nodding along and occasionally offering a sympathetic smile or word of encouragement. It felt good to finally have someone to talk to, someone who actually seemed to care.

"Like yeah I am a loner, but I guess in a way I sort of got used to it, it's kinda comforting." I said, trying to sound more confident than I felt. Demi smiled warmly at me.