CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

His sweet face has a tiny freckled nose and rosy lips that always seem to be smiling, showing off his shiny little teeth when he giggles. His chubby cheeks look like ripe peaches, begging for cuddles from anyone who sees him. But it's his eyes that steal the show – big and curious, like a deer's, with long lashes that flutter like delicate butterfly wings. His messy dark hair bounces as he walks, adding to his adorable charm. And dressed in his explorer outfit with a tiny explorer hat, Dion is ready for adventure, eager to explore the world with all his heart.

"Mommy, look!" Dion's voice bubbled with excitement as he pointed to the majestic horse he was riding on.

"Hold on tight there, big boy adventurer," Kerson advised Dion before turning his attention to me.
"Can we talk later, Aly? I need to know about him. Don't keep everything hidden from me."

Malinaw na kita sa mga mata ng anak ko ang kasiyahan na nadarama. Ang kan'yang ngiti ay totoo at walang halong pagpapanggap. Tunay na tuwang-tuwa siya sa paglilibot.

Hindi ako makasagot. Ang aking dibdib ay napupuno ng pagnanais na magpaliwanag ngunit ang aking damdamin ay puno ng pagkukulang. Nasasaktan ako para sa aking anak ko. Nasasaktan ako dahil sa aking mga nagawang pagkakamali.

Nang bigla na lamang huminto ang pag-ikot ng kabayo sa carousel ride. Agad kong nilapitan si Dion at kinuha ang kan'yang bag. Dali-dali kong siyang binuhat at nagmadaling lumisan sa lugar na iyon. Ilang beses ko na rin tine-text si Kenzo upang sunduin kami.

"Mommy. Mommy, what's wrong?" Dion asked worriedly.

I turned to face Dion, forcing a smile to reassure him, "It's okay, baby. Mommy's just thinking about something, but everything's fine."

I reached out to gently ruffle his hair, hoping to convey a sense of calmness even as my own emotions threatened to overwhelm me. 

As Kerson's voice rang out behind us, pleading for me to wait, I quickened my pace, a desperate prayer echoing in my mind that he wouldn't catch up to us.

"Did you and Tito fight?" Dion's innocent question interrupted my thoughts.

"No, baby boy. Mommy just needs to take care of something at home, okay?" I assured him, forcing a smile.

Exiting the Skyranch and heading towards the entrance, I felt a hand reach for my waist, halting my steps.

"A-Aly, please, don't walk away from me. . . again," Kerson's voice quivered, tears welling up in his eyes. "I'm really scared. . . I'm scared you'll leave me again. I-I don't want to lose you."

"I-I'm sorry, Kerson," I responded weakly. "But—I'm scared too." 

Suddenly, Dion wriggled out of my arms and dashed towards Kerson place. My heart clenched as I watched him confront Kerson, his small fists pummeling Kerson's chest in a fit of anger.

"You're bad person, Tito! You hurt my Mommy! I hate you!" Dion's voice trembled as he continued to punching Kerson. "You're making Mommy cry! I hope you're not my daddy! Bad-bad ka po!"

Tears welled up in my eyes at Dion's words, catching me off guard with their raw honesty. Silently wiping away my tears, I realized the depth of Dion's love and loyalty, even in the face of confusion and heartache.

Dion, siya ang tatay mo.

"Dion Stephen, stop!" pagbabawal ko.

Dion's eyes widened in surprise at the sharpness of my tone, his expression shifting to one of distress. Kneeling down in front of him, I reached out to gently grasp his arms, my touch a contrast to my earlier outburst.

"What's going on, Dion Stephen?" I asked, trying to steady my voice. "Why did you do that?"

Dion looked down, his lower lip trembling slightly. "I. . . I'm sorry, Mommy. I-I just got angry."