Chapter 11 - Silver Blood. The Sorceress. The Queen Manifest

Start from the beginning

''Your Grace,'' Talos inclined his head in greeting. The queen's silver eyes lingered on Talos before she spoke.

''My deepest thanks, Talos,'' she intoned, ''I hath known thy task was done since the star fell from the heavens. It hurts, but I know my son suffers no longer thanks to thee.''

''It needed to be done. His end was, as I'm sure he'd have wanted, spectacular. Warriors across the land gathered in Caelid to face the Red Lion. Over five-hundred. Whatever loyalties they had were laid aside, just to pay their respects to him,'' Talos' face became thoughtful, ''you must be proud of him. In life, he was a force of nature that commanded the respect of others. And in death, he still roused the hearts of men with his name alone.''

Rennala smiled. ''I am immensely proud of him. He became more than I could have dreamed. Radahn would never rule, for the line of ascension to the throne of Caria was never for the sons. Both of my sons were ambitious, but Radahn soared to heights I do not think his siblings could match,'' she suddenly caught herself, ''ah, perhaps 'tis in poor taste to say such things.''

Talos shook his head. ''It is natural to compare one's children. They are all different, with their own aptitudes and failings. I cannot speak on your children, Rennala, but my own three differed wildly in many ways.''

''I had forgotten thou art a father thyself. Wouldst thou tell me of them?'' Rennala asked. Talos gave her a fragile smile.

''Another time, perhaps. I fear we are getting distracted,'' he said evasively, ''now, the comet. I saw it pass over the Wailing Dunes. That is significant, isn't it?''

Rennala nodded slowly. ''When the stars began to move again, they heralded the continuation of my daughter's fate. Thou'st likely heard already, but when my son arrested the stars, Ranni's destiny was locked into stasis. Now, things can move along their proper course once more. The falling star crashed to the earth in Limgrave. Blaidd hath already departed to investigate.''

''Restless as ever, isn't he. But what of you, Rennala? Much has happened in your absence, and now I deliver news of Radahn's death. It seems redundant to ask if you are well, but I do so regardless,'' Talos said.

''Thy kindness is appreciated. I cannot say I am pleased with the state of Raya Lucaria, or Liurnia as a whole, but those art things that can be fixed with time and effort. But Radahn...'' she took a breath, ''…I hath grieved for him. He died when he was gripped by the Scarlet Rot. His spirit was already departed. You merely put his body to rest, and if thee and Blaidd speaketh true, in spectacular fashion. I am sure he would have loved it,'' her eyes shimmered momentarily, then calmed.

''I understand. But that doesn't answer my question,'' Talos pressed. Rennala released a sigh she'd been holding.

'''Twould be a lie to say I feel well in any fashion. I feel out of place in my own home. So much hath changed. My lands art bereft of people, my academy lieth empty, my systems of governance hath collapsed. There is so much to do, yet I hath nary an idea where to begin,'' her shoulders slumped, and the Sweetings could sense the downturn in the queen's mood. ''What is a queen without a people to rule? Liurnia is dead, yet I remain to preside over its corpse.''

''I see. Doubt weighs heavy on you. It is true that your lands have fallen, and I will not lie, the situation is bleak. But, and I mean this, while you remain, the chance for Liurnia to rise again still exists. This land will only die once you die, and I promise that I will not allow that to happen. Once I am Elden Lord, I will do everything in my power to restore Liurnia, restore the academy, drain the lake that has swallowed the land and make sure the tragedies that swept the Lands Between can never happen again. You will have my support in all of this,'' Talos said solemnly.