Chapter 7: Bonding x on the x Airship

After clearing the Second Phase of the Hunter Exam, Cassandra and her newly-found friends found themselves aboard the Hunter's Association Airship, flying through the starry sky. They were heading towards the site of the Third Phase. She and the other applicants stood in the airship facing Netero and the green guy who had given them their badges. This was Beans. "Allow me to properly introduce myself to the 43 remaining applicants. I am Netero, Chairman of the Selection Committee for this year's Hunter Exam," Netero said.

Beside him, Beans introduced himself as his secretary. Originally, Netero had planned to appear during the Final Phase, but he would accompany them for a while since he was already there. Cassandra untied her white ribbon around her head and knelt to polish her shoes delicately, making sure the white remained and there was no smear on the ribbon when she was finished. "And enjoy this nice edgy atmosphere. We are scheduled to arrive at our destination at 8 AM tomorrow. You'll find dinner waiting for you in the dining hall. You are also welcome to get some rest," Beans added.

Finally, Cassandra thought. Some proper shut-eye will do the trick. She had been stressing the hell out all morning and afternoon. Hell, even some of the children's goodbyes from this morning were still fresh on her mind. They could do whatever they wanted until they were called the next morning. Gon and Killua were quick to explore the airship as the redhead watched them, a smile on her face. It reminded her of a time she saw Mael make a friend. This friend he would always go to was his first friend. 

~~~

Mael, who was 9 years old at the time, was found under a tree at Silver Willow, talking with someone. This was another boy with ghost-white hair, mocha-brown skin, and pale green eyes. He wore a boyish and dark Victorian outfit. Cassandra, who was 13 at the time, came out of the orphanage after eating lunch. She wore a beige sun hat with a button-up green dress with white flowers on it. The skirt went down to her knees and she wore black heels with the dress. Her hair was to her knees as well, curled into two ponytails. "Hey, Cassandra!" Mael called.

The redhead looked at her little friend and walked to him, sitting with him and the other boy under the tree. "Bonjour, Mael. Who is this? I've never seen him," she said.

He looked up at the redhead and grinned, giving his new friend jazz hands. "This is my new friend Kasper. He said he came from Whale Island where the fish are plentiful and the ocean's the greatest view in the world," Mael replied.

Kasper waved timidly, trying not to look into the sapphire blue eyes of Mael's red-haired friend. Was he always this shy? Just a moment ago, he was grinning and talking like a bird with their favorite person. Cassandra didn't think much about it, because after that day, she hardly saw Mael or Kasper. They were most likely off doing their things. She sighed and walked into the orphanage where she could hear the cooks planning the evening's dinner and dessert. It sounded good from what she could hear. That's when she heard something behind her. Turning, she jumped. "Cassandra, relax! It's just me, Kasper!"

Cassandra exhaled, a hand ghosting over her chest. "Thank goodness, it was just you. Where's Mael?" she asked.

Kasper, unfortunately, stayed silent. He looked at the floor, his lips pursed into a thin line. "He's... sick..." he mumbled.

There was a heavy silence. Right when he said it, two of the caretakers ran to the boys' bedrooms for the 9-year-olds with medications, warm towels, and stuffed animals. They did everything they could to ensure a child's safety when they were sick. However, Cassandra never experienced that herself. "Oh gosh... Do you know how he got sick?" she questioned.

"Dunno. But, to be honest... I'm worried for him."

~~~

While everyone was asleep and enjoying themselves, Cassandra sat by the window as she looked outside. The sky was dark. Lights shone below like a big jewelry box. Even though she couldn't remember too much, when she was little, her mother owned a beautiful jewelry box with some of the most beautiful trinkets ever created. There were crystals of all kinds, amethyst, diamonds, and rubies. But her favorite was a pair of emerald earrings that had been given to her when she was 4. Her mother knew that one day, she would wear those earrings.

"Hey, Cassandra."

Walking to her was Kurapika. He must have woken up from a nap because he was rubbing his eye. "Oh– hi, Kurapika. Is there something you need?" Cassandra asked.

"Nothing much. It's just... I feel Gon and Killua know more about you. And, to be fair, I'm quite curious to get to know you. Do you mind telling me a bit about yourself?" he inquired.

His voice was like unheard music to her ears. "Uh... sure. I came from an orphanage called Silver Willow. Before I came to take the Hunter Exam, one of the kids called me. Her name was Ashlynn; she's one of the kids who LOVES to deal out dark humor. But deep down, she cares a lot about the caretakers and me. I've been given the responsibility to check on them ever since I was admitted into the orphanage, even though I was a child like them."

The two kept talking through the night, telling stories of their childhood. From the time Cassandra tripped over her hair because no one had helped her pull it back to the time Kurapika mistook a glass window for an open door. They both laughed off the feeling of being embarrassed and stared down at the land below them. "Isn't this crazy? ... We're far from home and taking this exam... By the way, why do you want to take the Hunter Exam?" Cassandra asked.

Kurapika looked at her and smiled, tucking a strand of blonde hair behind his ear. "I wish to tell you, but... I don't want to scare you," he said.

"Oh, please! I'm not gonna get scared," the redhead laughed.

Her smile, like a delicate blossom peeking through the cracks of his hardened exterior, captivated him. It was not just the curve of her lips or the sparkle in her eyes; it was the genuine warmth radiating from her, a warmth he thought he had long forgotten. Her smile seemed to hold a promise of serenity, a promise that perhaps there was still beauty and goodness in the world worth cherishing. "But... still. I don't want to tell you yet," Kurapika said.

"Pleeease!!" Cassandra begged, playfully leaning on him.

The blondie chuckled and still refused, nudging her off of him. He was being stubborn, she thought. Cassandra scoffed and stood, dusting her skirt off. "Well, I'm going to go get some shut-eye. Hopefully, you can come back and go to sleep before we reach the third phase's location," she said, patting Kurapika's shoulder.

He snickered and nodded, waving her off. Would he be staying there a bit longer? Well, Cass was always told to give people time before letting them join her in anything she did. As the redhead walked away from her spot with Kurapika, she heard some jerks walking by. One of them bumped into her. "Hey, miss. You're not gonna say sorry?" he asked.

"Yeah, who do you think you are, not apologizing?" the other guy spat.

But the redhead didn't listen. She continued walking. The three boys scowled and followed close behind her before one of them grabbed her hips. But that was their biggest mistake. Their hands began to burn the longer they kept Cassandra in her place. When it came to them, the first jerk took his hands off of Cassandra, yelling in pain. His hands had large blisters on them now. Cassandra, on the other hand, groaned as she walked away from them. She massaged her forehead, wincing every time she massaged it. "Damn... That hurt... But it didn't hurt as much as it did 10 years ago..."

She took her hand off her forehead and moved her hair to cover it as she walked to find Kurapika was now missing from the spot they were talking in. He must've gone back to Leorio to sleep. After all, it was presumably very late. Cassandra walked to the main room where everyone was asleep; including Kurapika and Leorio. She sighed seeing them and took her long braid out, watching as her red hair became longer than her 5'3 body. Her hair was about 5 feet and 9 inches in length, and she took great pride in its care. She removed her glasses and put them on her lap as she lay beside them, closing her eyes. All that was in her mind was one question; where would they be taking the Third Phase in the morning?