Small Fry and Reverse Retribution

Start from the beginning

Back in her comfortable position in front of Yuji, she continued, "You know when you go to a super loud concert and you wake up the next day with muffled hearing and ringing? That's pretty much what happens if I don't wear these for awhile. It eventually sends my brain into overdrive and it can't keep up with my innate gift."

"Ohhh... I understand now. So with the earplugs, you still can easily pick up on cursed energy, just not all the way because it'll hurt you?" Yuji tapped his finger against his lips in a pondering motion.

"Pretty much."

"I see... What does cursed energy sound like anyway?"

"Mmh... It's a little different for every cursed spirit and person, but usually it sounds like a violin bow playing against a rusty trash can, or a dinner knife scratching against a plate. For sorcerers who have their cursed energy under control, it's more pleasant. I'm not sure why, my parents say it's because they have good intentions, but not everyone with controlled cursed energy does." [Name] switched her position on the couch to laying down, her back still aching. Yuji's gaze followed her movements.

"Damn, that sounds shitty. I hate knife scratching noises, makes me wanna vomit... Hey, what does my cursed energy sound like? Or Fushiguro's? Kugisaki's?" Yuji leaned closer to [Name] after each person's name, causing her to laugh.

"Eager, much. Well, yours is... It's a little shaky since you're still learning, but it's like a thumping timpani. It's strong, but it's as if it's the percussionist's first time performing the timpani solo in rehearsal and he's very nervous," [Name] replied as she focused on Yuji's cursed energy.

"Wah? Really? That's awesome!" Yuji grinned.

[Name] smiled with a nod. "Megumi's sound is soft but has purpose. Like an orchestra preparing to hit the climax of its piece without the audience knowing. Nobara's sound is way more flashier. Hers is like the drummer on a drum set focusing on the high hat constantly. It's fast and steady, full of life and energy."

If Yuji's eyes could sparkle anymore, they would. His grin widened as [Name]'s words penetrated his eardrums. "That fits them so well! Can you hear yours? I bet it sounds pretty."

"Pretty?" [Name] cocked her head to the side like an owl.

Yuji began to sputter wildly as his choice of words began to fluster him. He shook his hands frantically in front of his face. "W-well, you know, you have a nice energy around you, right? Like- it's- umm- it's really- sorry..." Yuji shoved his beat red face into his palms as [Name] chuckled.

"I get what you're saying. No, I can't hear my own cursed energy, but if you think it's pretty, then it better be. You're very perceptive, so it's hard not to agree with you." [Name] brought a gentle, yet cautious, hand to Yuji's shoulder, gently stroking it with her thumb.

"Really?" Yuji peeked at [Name]'s soft [eye color] eyes from underneath his unfairly pretty eyelashes. Though he was calming down from his embarrassing outburst from a few seconds ago, his blush remained as [Name]'s touch stayed put.

"Yeah! You're doofus most the time, but you can still see past others intentions and understand them. That's why I think we work so well. I'm not a very open person, but you just... I don't know, get me I guess? I don't have to say much, but you can talk to me and understand me. I'm grateful for you, Yuji."

[Name] squeaked in surprise as Yuji's brown eyes began to cloud over with tears. She scrambled, running through a list in her head of what she could've done to hurt or bother her friend, but her overthinking was simply just overthinking as he quickly enveloped the girl in a tight squeeze.