"Bryce, h-hey, c'mon it's fine–"

"No it's not!" The woman cried out, clutching her chest as she collapsed to the floor.

"M-momma?" Luxy stared at his mother in worry.

Bobby's eyes flickered between his partner and son before they landed on their metallic friend.

"Donovan, get Luxy out of here."

"Yes, sir."

Donovan swiftly picked up the young child and began making his way out the door, and little Luxy could do nothing but stare back at the sight of his father cradling his mother in his arms, tears streaming down both of their cheeks.

He had no idea that that would be the last he would see of them in a while.

Luxy's parents hadn't come home that night.

Which was fine.

Perhaps they needed time for themselves.

But then night turned to morning, and there was still no sign of them anywhere.

"Momma? Papa?" He called out, searching for them all around the mansion until he stopped back at his own room. He found his uncle Donovan inside, looking to be packing up a bag full of his clothes, shoes, and toys.

This only seemed to confuse the toddler even more.

"Come along, little boss."

After an hour-long drive, the two finally arrived at a house Luxy had never seen before, and as he was ushered towards the front door, the realization of the situation finally dawned on him.

"Ah, well if it isn't my favorite grandson I've never seen before until now!" A man with graying hair and a thick mustache greeted the second he swung the door open. Luxy noted he had a weird way of talking. "Nice to meet ya, Lucky! I'm your grandpapi Daniel Lorne Leroy!"

"His name's Luxy, pa," a female voice said from behind the older man. Luxy's supposed grandpapi steps aside to reveal a woman who bore a striking resemblance to his mother (except her hair was darker). The woman smiled at him and kneeled down to his level, lightly pinching one of his cheeks. "Hello, cutie! I'm your aunt Delilah! Your momma and I are half sisters."

Luxy, being two, had no clue as to what that meant nor what difference it made. He only cared about why he was standing at the door of two complete strangers who claimed to be his aunt and grandfather.

"Wanna go home..." he said, turning to his uncle Donovan with big, teary eyes and a trembling lip.

"This is your new home," his uncle responded back in his usual monotone voice, handing his aunt Delilah his things before making his way back to the car. Luxy pleadingly cried out his name, moving to go after him, but was held back by his grandfather.

"No, no, no, pwease! I be good! I be good!"

Donovan turned back around.

But instead of scooping him up and taking him home like Luxy had hoped, he simply waved and bid him farewell.

"Goodbye, little boss."

At a very young age, Luxy quickly had to learn that you couldn't always get what you wanted. And despite not asking for much, he was still deprived of his wants in favor of prioritizing his needs.

But why stop him from wanting to see his father?

Why discourage him from longing for his mother's embrace?

Why was it so wrong for a child to actually want something they needed in their lives?

"Now I know you're still upset, kiddo. But you gotta understand," his Grandpapi Leroy approached him one day, kneeling beside the couch so they could meet eye to eye, "People are going to leave you one way or another and, when they do, you'll be left with nothing. Your mommy and daddy might love you, but I reckon they knew deep down that raising a kid really ain't worth all the trouble."

Luxy frowned but didn't say anything. His grandpapi sighed and gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"Just take it from me and your great grandpapi Double-Licker Leroy. The only thing you will ever need to get by in life that actually matters... is money."

From that day on, little Luxy gradually got used to his new life as a Leroy and eventually forgot about his situation with his parents. By the time he started school, all he could really care about was finding more ways to convince his classmates into buying whatever knick knack he found lying around his grandpapi's house for a quick quarter.

In fact, he'd been in the middle of counting the small bit of money he earned from selling a few of his aunt's old makeup products when, suddenly, he heard a loud commotion by the swings.

"No!! Stop! You're gonna hurt him!"

"Aww, you hear that? She thinks the toy is real!"

Luxy curiously looked over and saw a small group of boys being mean to a girl with short black hair wearing a bright pink dress. The bullies kept passing around what looked to be a baby doll and laughing at all the girl's poor attempts to snatch it back.

"You're being too rough! Let him go!" The girl shouted angrily.

The leader of the group smirked as he shared a look with his posse.

"If you say so."

The doll is suddenly thrown high into the air, and the girl lets out a horrified scream.

Without really thinking, Luxy jumped out of his seat and sprinted for the doll, easily catching it in his arms before it could land in a dirty heap of mud.

"Now then," Luxy began, clearing his throat, "You asscracks can either leave that girl alone, or ..." he pulled out something from his back pocket, "you can purchase yourself one of these funny looking balloons that belonged to my great grandpapi!"

The group let out a simultaneous groan as they recognized who it was.

"Ugh, not that Leroy kid again."

"Stop trying to sell us your stupid shit!"

"C'mon guys, let's get out of here."

As the mean kids walked away, the dark haired girl shyly approached Luxy with a grateful smile.

"Thank you for saving my baby."

"It's no problem," Luxy returned her smile as he gently handed her doll back, debating for a moment before adding in, "I'm Luxy, by the way. What's your name?"

The girl giggled as she happily hugged her doll close to her chest.

"I'm Cathy."