Walters and Wipeouts

Life is never boring in the Walter house, and today is no exception. It may look calm currently; the sun shining, the wind blowing through the porch as I read and the crows calling out to each other around the property. It feels peaceful, like I could actually nap out here and not be disturbed, but I know better. It's too good to be true, the calm before the storm, all of those cliches. Because today everything changes. I'm excited to welcome Jackie into the family, but I know it won't be the same in the Walter house. We're already competing for attention as it is, and I know some of the boys will find it hard to adjust. While others will adjust quickly but be far too interested in having a girl in the house who isn't our sister. I'm just hoping moving into a house full of teen male energy won't be too rough on her as she figures out her new life in Colorado.

Eight boys and one girl between the ages of 5-17 in one house would be too much for your average parents, but we are lucky to have Katherine and George Walter as our figureheads. Both strong and caring, they show us how to take care of others around us while also taking care of ourselves. I can see the strength Dad has and shows to us all. I see how hard he works both out on the farm and behind his desk to keep this place afloat. Mom on the other hand, shows us how to be generous, caring and gracious to others. She is selfless to us and to her clients at the vet clinic, helping out those who are having a hard time financially with discounts on their vet bills. Together, they do a good job of handling the chaos of this place while still managing to teach us important life lessons, not that my siblings realise this.

The joys of being the quiet one who keeps to himself is that people sometimes don't notice I'm there or think I'm not paying attention if I have my headphones on. But I've managed to learn a lot about my parents and how much they sacrifice or how hard it's been for them when they don't think I can hear them. I've also picked up a couple of my brothers' secrets along the way. But I keep this all locked up in the vault of my mind. I know a lot of things but I also abide by the no-snitching rule we have amongst us kids. Lord knows how many of my twin's secrets I keep.

To a town like Silver Falls, our family is a hot topic, especially amongst the female population between the ages of 12-20. It's funny how each of us are perceived when there's so much more to us.

Will is the responsible eldest, but he's also the fun brother to Parker, Benny & Jordan.

Cole is the charming ex-quarterback, but he's been taking time out to give Parker offensive football tips and strategies despite the fact I know it's killing him with every reminder that he can't play football anymore.

I'm the aloof actor, but that's because I prefer to stay on the outskirts and observe rather than get involved in real-life drama.

Alex is known as "Rodeo Boy", but he can also design game layouts and skins for his friends to play with.

Nathan is the sensitive musician, but he's also a fierce opponent when playing video games.

Isaac is the cool, fashionable guy, but he will happily do his chores in the ugliest clothes possible.

Lee is the skater boy and while he doesn't care much about what he wears, he's very particular about which order he puts his clothes on.

Jordan is the budding film director, but he's also interested in botany, putting together bouquets for Mom on Mother's Day or helping her in the garden.

Parker is the tomboy, but she will always ask me to watch romcoms with her.

And Benny? Well, he's five, so he's just a cute troublemaker.

I am currently trying to enjoy the last of my freedom before school starts again tomorrow, hoping I can somehow eke out more time to myself before it all ends. Summer has been full of amazing memories and opportunities, getting to go into Denver for a Shakespeare workshop and doing a production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? at the Nomad Playhouse in Boulder. I connected with this girl Beth at the Shakespeare workshop when we were running scenes from The Tempest, but I haven't heard from her since the week after the workshop. I quickly flick off a text, asking if she's feeling ready for school.