"After her death, I harbored a deep resentment towards her. In the eyes of many, she was a beautiful yet foolish woman. No one sympathized with her, thinking everything was her own doing."

Xie Sui paused, calmly continuing, "In my eyes, it was the same before."

Song Yu quietly held his hand.

"She gave me indifference before her death, and torment after. She bestowed life upon me without asking whether I wanted to bear all this in this world."

"She ended her own life on my birthday," he stopped for a moment, Xie Sui said lightly, "Joy and sorrow in the same day."

He flipped the diary to a few pages in the middle. "This diary has been in the cabinet at the Jingcheng house, but I never read it. In the previous life, it was handed to me by Xie Sinian himself, asking me to take a look."

"As I started to understand her, I found that holding onto hatred was meaningless."

"She was just a failed mother."

"She was pampered since childhood, receiving countless favors from others. She didn't know how to love. Cutting ties with the Xu family, Xie Sinian was just one reason; what made her collapse was her family. The parents who had raised and spoiled her for over a decade started treating her like an auction item, pushing her towards those influential men in City A. Her marriage became a transaction. She was sad and broken, choosing to have a cold war with her family."

Song Yu looked at Xu Qiao's small handwriting in the diary. During the time in the mountain villa, every word revealed her care and anxiety, cautiously navigating her first time as a mother.

"Today, A'Sui was praised by the teacher again. He's such a smart child." "I want to do something for him, but it seems like I don't know how to do anything." "A'Sui drew a picture for me. I should praise him and encourage him by patting his head, but what have I done?" "My A'Sui is amazing, but I can't even ensure he goes to school normally." "Xie Sinian came, and we had a quarrel. A'Sui must have been scared. He cried so miserably during the day; I dared not see him. The nanny said he fell asleep, so I secretly went to check on him."

Xie Sui remained silent.

Song Yu held the diary and slowly flipped through it. Towards the end, Xu Qiao rarely mentioned Xie Sinian, focusing on every bit of Xie Sui's growth. Her character was lofty and solitary, unsure of how to connect with her own child, responding awkwardly. One page of the diary was heavily wrinkled, likely soaked in tears countless times. When she learned the truth, she broke down, unable to articulate anything. Why, those three words repeated continuously.

During the time she hid in Jingcheng after being framed by Qin Qiuyun, the diary had many blank days.

When she picked up the pen again, it was already the third day in Jingcheng. In Xie Sui's memory, his mother, confined in the room due to love driving her crazy, was sometimes calm and sometimes crazy. In her moments of calm, she thought about her future and Xie Sui's future. She thought about continuing to paint, raising her child to grow up healthy. In reality, she pushed the door open countless times, gazing at her child in the deep night while Xie Sui slept, crying silently throughout the night.

Xie Sui recalled a past incident in Jingcheng, "Do you know why the Zhu family hates me so much?"

Song Yu paused, "What?"

"She actually tried to work, but on the first night, Zhu Zhihang's father followed her upstairs. He coerced her at the door. I rushed out from the room, pushed him down the stairs, and broke his leg."

Song Yu's throat went dry.

For a moment, he didn't know what to say.

Xu Qiao had been too well protected. She seemed like a delicate and precious flower, easily shattered with even the slightest touch. The Xu family raised her with the hope that she would live gracefully and beautifully in a splendid cage, being a canary. She was utterly helpless against the world's dangers, and her beauty was deemed a sin.