Chapter 10 - Honour to the Red Lion

Começar do início

''Got stuck in a mine for our troubles, however,'' Alexander grumbled, ''serves us right for trying to take bloody shortcuts.'' Blaidd scoffed.

''Serves you right, you mean. I told you it was a bad idea, being so large a jar and all,'' the half-wolf said with a grin.

''Slander, I say! All you had to do was grease me up and we'd have been fine!''

''Whatever you say, mate,'' he shook his head before looking at Talos, ''I heard about your latest adventure from Lady Ranni,'' his eyes softened, ''I'd never have imagined Queen Rennala would come back to us. I don't think I've ever seen Lady Ranni so happy about... well, anything. No clue what you did, but thank you. I mean it. Makes me shudder to think what might have happened if it were someone else that found her.''

''Trust me, she'd have been fine. Even as she was, I've no doubt she would still be formidable,'' Talos said.

''Humble, eh? Well, I'm just glad it was you. I also heard from Lady Ranni what you intend to do. And the promise you made.''

''To Rennala, yes. Radahn needs to be put to rest. And I'm guessing everyone here is in agreement,'' Talos said, gesturing to the gathering of warriors around them. Surcoats of different colours and patterns, all denoting varying loyalties were gathered here. All for the same reason.

''More or less, though I doubt many of them are so noble about it,'' Blaidd said, ''you've caused ripples in the Lands Between, mate. Many of these men have no longer have a lord to fight for. No cause to give themselves to. No challenges left to face. So it's safe to say most of them just want something to throw themselves at, and get a good fight out of it.''

''Ha! Kindred spirits, them and I! Though this is merely a step on my path to strength, you see. I've no intention of dying here. Radahn or not,'' Alexander said.

''Then let's make it a fight to remember, eh? Think about it. All of us against a legend of The Shattering. The Demigod who fought Malenia and holds the stars to this day,'' Blaidd chuckled, ''can't say I fancy our chances, but it'd be one hell of a way to go, wouldn't it?''

''It would indeed, my friend. But let's keep thoughts of death at the back of out minds, shall we? After all, how can we hope to win if we're shaking in our boots?'' Alexander said.

Talos looked around again, getting a better look at the other notable individuals gathered within the courtyard.

''A strange lot,'' Talos said. Blaidd, much taller than Talos, also cast his gaze wide.

''Noticed, did you? Got some famous company here. Or infamous, depending on who you ask. Look over there,'' Blaidd pointed over toward the left of the courtyard, where a man in extremely heavy armour, with two sweeping horns creating an extra layer of defence over his torso. Resting on the ground with his hand on the pommel was a massive hammer. He was chatting with another warrior, adorned in bulbous black armour, with a broad rim surrounding his helmet. ''Over there is Tragoth. Some call him Great Horned Tragoth. You can probably see why. He's famous for being a helping hand to Tarnished. Bit of a folk hero, really.''

''And the other one?'' Talos asked.

''Oh, that's Lionel the Lionhearted. Generally well-liked and helps other Tarnished like Tragoth does,'' Blaidd then pointed to a towering figure near the back, standing like a statue wrought of bronze with a sword in one hand and a horned shield in the other, ''and them... one of Godfrey's old knights. The Knights of the Crucible. Legends, all of them. Apparently, they were chased from the capital after Godfrey was banished and all went into hiding. They're a rare sight, to be sure. Never tangled with one, but I've always been curious.''