1 - 9 . Kunigami's Steak

Start from the beginning

Well, there goes the thought of them trying to warm up to you. But at the same time, you also didn't want to sit alone and would rather sit in awkward silence like a room-temperature bath. A lukewarm bath is still better than no bath at all.

"Sup dude."

There was the awkward silence that always unraveled when you were in a room.

"H-hey, [l/n]." he slowly turned around, a forced smile very much obvious. It was like you hit him, attention immediately finding you. What did you do this time?

And you thought he was one of the nicer guys too.

"You even nailed down your skill yet?"

"No, not yet," he laughed nervously, putting the tray on the table you were sitting directly in front of you. "Barou from Team X said I have no talent either... maybe I don't have a weapon."

"That sounds like him." you gave him a small smile before coughing into your fist. You might have slipped up a bit. No normal guy talks like a semi-normal human being.

"Huh? Do you know him? He was talking to you a lot and even calling you something. Have you played with him before? Do you have a school rivalry?"

"Uh, yeah, something like that. We were in the hall and outta nowhere he bumps into me and flips out. Like, chill, bro, it's just a hallway, you know?"

"Oh," his shoulders dropped, now focusing on the natto in front of him. He didn't even like natto.

You wanted to dig a hole into the concrete and bury yourself in it.

Luckily for you, the only savior you've had at this facility, the carrot head Kunigami, came to save the day. Unfortunately not for you as he walked right up to Isagi.

"You're still getting natto?"

"That's just how it is when you rank near the bottom. Hey, wait... you haven't had dinner yet?"

"I just ate. I came to talk to you." Kunigami glanced over at you but went back to Isagi.

"Hm? What about?"

"I never said thank you."

"For what?"

"Thanks for the pass." He said, doing a mock solute that made your stomach flutter.

"Oh, in the last game? That's all?"

"Yeah. I believe in doing things the right way." his eyes landed on you again. "Good job with that assist by the way."

The sudden attention shifted onto you, your cheeks slowly heating up like cookies in the oven. Maybe you didn't want to kiss concrete and sleep six feet under. "Yeah... Thanks, brah."

'I ruined it!'

He returned a small smile, eyes gleaming with something you hoped was anything but mockery. "Anyway, that's all. Good night."

Before Kunigami could leave the dinner hall, Isagi shot up like an upside-down faucet. He outstretched a hand out for him, "Hey, wait a minute!"

"Hm?"

"Kunigami, why do you play soccer?"

"Huh? What kind of a question is that?"

"Oh, uh, it's just... you have lots of weapons I don't, like your shot power and your strong frame. So I was just wondering what an amazing guy like you thought about. Jeez, what am I saying... I'm sorry. It feels like I'm embarrassing myself here. Forget I asked. Good night."

"That's easy. I'm gonna be a soccer superhero." His words were stupid, childlike even but the way he said it made a subconscious smile pull from your lips. He said it so truthfully.