𝟮𝟵. cease to be at peace

Bắt đầu từ đầu

     "Car for car?"

     "You want it, come and get it."

     A gleam appeared in Dom's eyes, a sly grin slipping on his lips. He shrugged, patting Josephine's shoulder. "Actually, my sister's going to take the wheel."

     "Her?" The guy snapped his head towards her, a doubtful narrowing of his eyes.

     Brian shifted beside the girl, raising an eyebrow challengingly at him as if he was daring the man to say more about her. "Got a problem?"

    "Maybe he's scared," Josephine drawled with a provoking sarcastic smile on her lips that smoothly spilled out words in Portuguese. She cocked an eyebrow at the man. "Are you?"

     "Not at all," The man said with a certain snark in his tone as he spread his arms theatrically to welcome her.

     "A Toretto's a Toretto," Dom said calmly, earning a bunch of convinced nods from a few street racers and a lot of mutters of agreement from the women. Most of them had heard of their reputation although they hadn't seen the rest of Josephine's.

     He thought about it. Then he nodded, thinking he had a better chance of winning if she raced him. Oh, how wrong he was. He sent one last skeptical look at the siblings and Brian and then announced: "Vamos correr." 

     Josephine cracked a grin, taking the keys of the Charger from her brother. "Let's race."

     Well, that was a piece of cake. Josephine barely called it a race. Of course, she had won. There was no other outcome to that race. She let Brian drive the Porsche back to their hideout while she and Dom settled in their previous rides. The other guys seemed surprised when they saw them drive inside the warehouse, momentarily stopping their chatters as they looked at the new car.

     "Really?" Roman laughed out loud, seemingly amused at the sight of the blue Porsche. "Where did you get that from? Papa Smurf?"

     And so the trial begins. The mockup track was ready and they had copied the exact locations of the CCTVs in each corner of the warehouse. Josephine was back in her seat behind the computer monitor showing the cameras. Dom stood beside her, the rest of them piled around them. Brian was at the start of the track in the Porsche GT3, and inwardly, Josephine hoped the car's speed and agility would do the trick.

     "Okay, O'Conner," Dom signaled through the radio. "Give it your best shot."

     Josephine sighed the minute one of the cameras caught sight of him. She pursed her lips, glancing down where Brian had stopped the car. The driver wasn't the problem. It was the car. The top speed just wasn't enough and the Porsche's build wasn't meant for drifting through hairpin turns while avoiding camera detection.

     He looked up at them expectantly. "How was that one?"

     "Camera caught you," Han told him as he munched on his snacks.

     Brian slammed the door shut as he marched toward them, furrowing his brows in disbelief. "What?"

     "Yeah, it still caught you."

     "Man, I was milking the hell out of that thing, too."

     "We're gonna need a faster car."

     This is how it went. Multiple races and multiple cars were won. Not a single one of them evaded the cameras. Each driver took their turn on the mockup track, all fueled by the same notion, but much to their disappointment, every single car they used was useless against the high-end CCTVs. As time passed, the frustration was clear on everybody's face. They needed something that wouldn't be seen.