"Perfect outfit for the date," Carter said as he gave me a single red rose.

"Thanks," I managed to get out. "Alex helped me pick it out."

"That's right, she did!" Alex's voice carried out into the hallway.

Carter and I laughed as I grabbed a coat. "Love you, Alex! Bye!"

"Don't get too-"

"Don't even finish that sentence," I warned her.

She chuckled. "Bye, Belle!"

I walked out with Carter. "Where exactly are we going?"

"Well, princess, we're going on a picnic." He said.

"In this weather?" I looked at the snow-filled streets outside.

"I know a place."

He didn't say anything else. We snuck out of the castle and walked into the snowy land of Callia. I pulled my coat closer to my body.

"Where is this 'place', exactly?" I asked.

"Near enough."

"That's so informative." Note the sarcasm dripping from every word.

He grinned and said nothing more.

We walked deeper into the city, and a good hour later, I gasped. A red and white-checked picnic blanket with heaps of food was spread out on the snow. It wasn't that cold here, compared to the other parts of the city. And then I saw the sparkling lake.

It was huge. And frozen. But it was beautiful. Near the edge sat two boxes, one red, one black.

"It's...spectacular!" I cried out.

"Nice, isn't it?" Carter walked towards the blanket.

"What's in those boxes?" I pointed.

"You'll find out later. Let's eat first." He took my hand and led me to the food.

I asked him, "Who prepared these?" I gestured to the food.

"Let's just say, I have friends in the kitchen." I chuckled.

"So," he said. I smiled shyly.

"So...why are you working for the queen?" I asked bluntly.

"As I've said, the Ice Queen chose my family as guardians of the princess. We had to live in the castle and show her our talents. My father's was cooking. My great grandfather was great with fixing things. I'm a dancer."

"Oh," I said. "Your family liked living with the queen?"

"Well, no. It's the most luxurious life we could've gotten, and my family will not pass that up."

"So your family will pass up true happiness and togetherness for luxury?" I said.

"It sounds bad if you put it that way, but yeah, we would." He replied grudgingly.

He crinkled his brow for a bit, then his face lit up. "Would you...sing for me?"

I was surprised by the request. "Sure." I loved singing. I didn't have the best voice, but I loved pretending I did.

I cleared my throat.

"He is sensible, and so incredible and

All my single friends are jealous..."

When I got to the chorus, I was so into it.

"But I miss screaming and fighting

And kissing in the rain