Untitled Part 2

My name is autumn. Im 25 years old. I am a deputy manager at a nursery. I work with marjorie the head manager and all the staff. Im a very quiet and distant person. But i wasnt always

When I was 21, I was having my final exams pre residency. my 22nd birthday was the day after the last exam and was the worst day of my life. My mum died. My dad took us out drinking, he'd just gotten a new job, he'd inherited a chain of nurseries and was suddenly full of money. We drank some of the most expensive liquor on the planet. My mum had a cardiac arrest. We didn't know she had a heart problem. She was only a glass of wine in. I performed CPR but she didn't make it. My father was never the same. He let me do residency, but when I was finished he didn't let me get a job as a general practitioner. My best friend has many health conditions and is continually overlooked and ignored by doctors. I'd decided I would be a GP because I wanted to be their first port of call. I wanted to be the doctor my grandfather had, who was always at dinner parties and his 80th birthday. I wanted to be the doctor who listened. I wanted to catch things first.

Finally, in the end, I was allowed to get a job in the police force. I don't know why that was allowed and not what I trained for years for, but did it for three months. I saw so much shit. It's made me very distrustful of others. And I hate that. All I want and wanted to do was to go back into medicine.

One day, I got back from work as a constable. Just a regular old pc. I wish I could be Dr Autumn instead of PC Autumn. My father grinned at me.

"I have a job for you!"

"What is it." i say. Normally it involves him showing me a spot on his body, getting me to tell him what it is, him going to his doctor and telling me it was something else. Then I call his doctor, pretended to be his issuance (we're rich, we don't use the nhs) and found out i was right. I wish I could be a doctor again. I passed every exam. I did everything. For those patients that pill you prescribe, that cream, that inhaler-it's not just an item or some chemicals. It might be metaphorical chains stopping them from living their life, or maybe its the key to them getting their life back. If it is the first, I tried to break down that barrier-those chains-that's the key to them having a full life.

Today was different though. Today it was a literal job.

"Your going to be a nursery manager."

I quit being a cop that day. Maybe now I could be making a real difference.

There was one other thing I did during that time though. I have an a level in computer science. In my spare time, I spent it hacking for money. I splashed the cash on buying handmade cozies for the local small animal shelter. I also bought myself a hoodie, sport shorts and a pair of trainers. First time I wore comfortable clothes in, well, ever.

Father sent me off to the nursery. The initial excitement had worn off. I lied on my CV. id said i was a manager at McDonald's, an LSA at a high school and had 40k followers on instagram. That part was true. I vlogged my way through medical school. But i haven't posted since my mum died. 

"You must be autumn." Said Marjorie. Why was she being so friendly? I hadn't heard anyone be that friendly since third year of medical school. 

"Yes" I say.

She asks me a few more questions and I answer coldly. I don't want to be friendly. I want to go and be a doctor. I don't want to be a nursery manager. I want to be a doctor.  After my time in the force, I don't think  I could trust anyone quite the same.