Talos observed his handiwork and shook his head. ''Why am I always beset by giant crustaceans?''

She watched, enraptured by the display. Having seen many powerful Tarnished come and go into her mother's service, she thought she'd seen everything that a Tarnished could be capable of. Now, having seen what this man in rags and blackened armour dispatched the fierce wildlife of Liurnia with magic she'd never seen any Tarnished wield before, Rya, scout of Volcano Manor, knew she had to make contact. She stood in one of the small stone pavilions, a regular stop of hers on her scouting runs. Rya's task was to look for new Tarnished to recruit into her mother's cause, but this time, she sought more than that. She'd been robbed. Taken from her was a precious necklace, one engraved in enamel with the face of her mother. Some ruffian, an escaped prisoner if his iron mask was any clue, had demanded it from her. He was a large brute, with two large iron balls on his fists, and he made it clear he'd snap her in two if she didn't hand the necklace over. Reluctantly, she did. But at least she was alive and still drew shaking breaths.

Ah, he was coming this way.

''Hello?'' she waved at the approaching Tarnished. He came closer, went around and ascended the stairs of the pavilion. Well, he was an intimidating one indeed. His dark armour and hooded cloak made him appear daunting. He was taller than her by a good margin, though some of that height difference was granted by the the permanent stoop she had from her crooked spine. ''It's a little chilly here, isn't it?'' she said as she rubbed her arms. Establishing common ground with a disarming comment often worked as a foot in the door.

''It is,'' the man said, his voice a deep, rasping baritone through his helmet, ''I wouldn't have expected to find anyone out here. Unarmed, especially. Have you business here?''

''I was sent on an errand by my mistress,'' her voice still shook, which lent to her goal of acquiring his assistance and potential recruitment. Sympathy would be a powerful tool here. ''But I was accosted by a ruffian in an iron mask, and now I am in a bind.'' She threw in a trembling lip for good measure. Granted, she was legitimately terrified, but she was trained enough and had the presence of mind to use all the tools at her disposal to recruit more Recusants. That said, she didn't like manipulating others, but it was her duty and she'd carry it out regardless of her feelings on the matter.

''Accosted, you say. How?'' he asked.

''The thug made off with a precious necklace, one very dear to me. I am in no fit state to get it back, and even if I was, I'm afraid to go myself,'' Rya sniffed and rubbed her arms again, ''I need someone to retrieve it. Only... he, too, is Tarnished,'' she held up her hands, ''if you've any qualms confronting your own, then I shall find another.''

''Hmm, I see. Very well, it shouldn't be an issue. I'll see what I can do if you can tell me where to look,'' he said. Rya's face lit up with genuine relief. Even if he didn't join the Volcano Manor, just having her necklace back would be enough.

''Oh, thank you dearly. It is a blessing that we have met here,'' she turned outward and pointed a dainty finger towards a distant shack, where a column of grey smoke languidly drifted into the air, ''he made off towards that shack. I suspect that's where he is resting.'' Then she looked back to the brave Tarnished. Yes, indeed he was brave. He'd dispatched those giant crustacean menaces with ease, and now he was going to deal with that thug. ''Please, brave Tarnished, I must have that necklace back.''

''Then I shall retrieve it, rest assured,'' he said.

''Before you go. Could I have your name?'' Rya asked. ''I am Rya.''

''Talos. I will return soon.''

Rya watched him go, his figure shrinking into the distance. As he'd left, her tongue slipped free of her mouth, flicking out rapidly before returning. She smiled after tasting the air. That taste was so indescribably potent, unlike anything she'd tasted before. It was so deep, complex and dense with strength, perfect for her mistress' needs. She would await his return, and when he did, she would do everything she could to bring him into the Recusant fold. Mother would be proud, indeed.