▃▃ 𝖝𝖝𝖛𝖎.

𝕭𝖆𝖌 𝕺𝖋 𝕭𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖘,

chapter twenty-six.

‎ ‎ ‎

In the quiet stillness of the early morning, a lone gardener, tasked with tending to the sprawling grounds, made his way toward the heart of the maze. The dawn's gentle light began to filter through the branches, casting delicate patterns on the labyrinthine paths.

As he approached the center, a sense of unease gripped him. The air hung heavy with an unspoken foreboding. The familiar statue of the centaur, a silent observer to countless events, loomed ahead.

The gardener's steps slowed as he noticed a figure lying on the ground, unmoving. Panic and concern welled up within him. Drawing closer, he beheld the lifeless form of Gabriette.

She laid in an unsettling stillness, her blonde hair fanned out around her. A deep gash marred her forehead, the source of which seemed to be a collision with the stone centaur. The maze, once a place of refuge and escape, had now become a tragic stage for the second time.

Fear and shock surged through the gardener as he knelt beside her. He gently touched her wrist, seeking any sign of life, but the stillness was unyielding. The realization struck him like a heavy blow, and a profound sadness settled over the once vibrant grounds.

Summoning help, he quickly alerted Duncan who called for the emergency services. Their arrival marked the beginning of yet another investigation into the tragic circumstances that had unfolded within the maze.

The news rippled through the estate, leaving a somber atmosphere in its wake. Elspeth, Sir James, and the rest of the household were confronted with the devastating reality that yet another life had been lost within the confines of their home.

The estate, once a sanctuary, now bore the weight of heartache and sorrow. Gabriette's departure left behind unanswered questions and a lingering sense of loss that would forever cast a shadow over the once vibrant grounds.

Not a single soul, whether it be Sir James, Elspeth, or Oliver, dared to cast their gaze toward the dreaded maze, let alone consider venturing near it.

The news of Venetia and Gabriette's tragic end, coupled with the earlier loss of Felix, had shattered Elspeth's carefully constructed facade. The weight of grief pressed upon her, leaving her utterly distraught and unable to fathom the cruel turn of events within the estate she once called home.

Sir James, now burdened with the responsibility of handling the aftermath, faced the daunting task of addressing the unresolved issue-Oliver. Despite Elspeth's plea for him to remain at Saltburn, the circumstances had shifted drastically, and Oliver's presence now seemed incongruous.

Sir James, with a heavy heart, had called Oliver to his office, whose demeanor displayed a chilling detachment.

Yet much to Sir James' surprise, the boy fought back, clearly having no intention of leaving.

"Oliver," Sir James began, his voice measured yet filled with a profound sadness, "How much for you to leave, and never come back. To cease all contact with my wife."

Oliver, seemingly poorly fazed by the unfolding tragedy, met Sir James' gaze with an unreadable expression. "Why?" he asked tersely, as if indifferent to the abrupt shift in his circumstances.

"Because we all have to move on."

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕰𝖓𝖉.

‎ ‎ ‎

i feel bad for ending it like this but like i said, i've grown detached from this story and i won't force myself to continue it otherwise my writing will become shit and confusing