A penny for your thoughts

"Effie darlin , you wouldn't mind callin my wee ones in for their tea  would ya doll ? " asked Mrs Kacey balancing a baby on her hip

"Course not Mrs K " replied Effie clutching her English book to her chest .

The streets were hustling and bustling with children pretending to be pirates and princesses , young boys practising their marching for the army , mamas calling in their troop of children . Loud sometimes too loud but nonetheless a comfort for the residents of Rein Road.

"Ronnie , Rachel your Ma says your  tea's ready "  called out Effie

"Ohh what d y'spose she made ?"asked Ronnie

"You'll have to find out won't ya before it gets cold"

That got the twin red heads sprinting off to their ma .

"Why don't we ask Euphemia ? "Asked one of the boys

"Your joking  i rather give a hen a peck than her " replied her no other than her arch nemesis Joseph Ryan

"What are the chances your going to have to kiss her anyway especially when the bottle itself would save us from that misery " commented  Victoria , a blue eyed blonde haired girl who batted her eye lashes so much as if she thought they had the power to take flight . That vicky has a sharp sugary tongue Malinda liked to say.  Sharp with her snide comments , sugary to please the parents.  Naturally not a fan favourite of Mal or Effie.

"Ugh I'd much rather be kissing a handsome man in uniform at the ater anyway . " retored Mal getting up from the ground and brushing her knees when she noticed Effie had entered the lone alleyway the older kids from Rein and a couple other roads had  dominated .

"Come on then chick " Mal said linking arms with Effie guiding her home "Who'd want to kiss lanky Liam anyway ?"

Effie stated quiet .

Malinda kept on talking. She talked about how her sister Marie had been stepping out with a soldier fella , how her ma and pa were debating whether to paint the windows black or to use fabric instead,  what the meaning behind Jamie Bryant dropping an apple on her desk meant .

Still Effie kept quiet .

"Your doing the thing again Eff " said Mal nudging her best friends arm .

"What thing ? "

"The thing where you stay real quiet with your head in the clouds ... a penny for your thoughts ? "

"Mmm glad my heads really not up there " thought Effie craning her neck towards the blackening clouds " Come on before we ruin our curls " she squeals as the first drops if rain make an appearance.