Rizal in Barcelona and Spain

Start from the beginning

After Singapore, he boarded the French ship/steamer Djemnah which left Singapore for Europe on May 11, 1882. Rizal arrived at Punta de Gales to go to Colombo on May 17 because The Djemnah passed through Colombo in Sr Lanka (South part of India) where he was able to wrote in his travel diary: The General Appearance of Punta de Gales is picturesque but lonely and quiet at the same time sad.

On May 27, he landed at Aden in Yemen at about 08:30 am, Rizal was so happy because it was his first time to see a camel and, in his observation, the Aden city is way hotter than Manila.

On June 11, 1882 Rizal disembarked and accompanied by a guide, went around the City of Naples in Italy for an hour. This was the first European ground he set foot on. He was so pleased on the Italian City because of its business activity, lively people and panoramic beauty.

On June 12, 1882 at 10 in the evening, the boat anchored in Marseilles and he slept in board. Rizal visited the famous Chateau d'lf where Dantes, hero of the Count of Monte Cristo was imprisoned, Rizal's favorite book. There, Rizal stayed for 2 and a half days in Marseilles.

On June 16, at 12 noon, Rizal arrived at Barcelona through train and boarded in the Fonda de Espana. Rizal's first impression of Barcelona, the greatest city of Cataluna and Spain's largest city was unfavorable. According to his travel diary, there's a lot of people and it is a very business district.

RIZAL'S LIFE IN BARCELONA

Upon his coming, Rizal noticed that the community practices freedom and liberalism. But in the end, he adored the hospitality, open-heartedness and courage shown by the people. To welcome Rizal, his fellow Filipinos (most of them were his former schoolmates at Ateneo Municipal), gave him a celebration at Plaza de Cataluna. He roamed around the city and visited the historical spots. Not forgetting his family, he made sure that he wrote them, his relatives and friends a letter. This trip aimed to satisfy one of Rizal's missions: to make a name for himself by sharing his writings and to express his love for his country.

At the age of 21, the first nationalistic piece he made was the essay entitled, El Amor Patrio or Love of Country. While writing this, he used the pen-name Laong Laan, for security. It was published in two text: the Spanish text was the once originally written by Rizal in Barcelona, the Tagalog text was a tagalog translation made by Marcelo H. Del Pilar. It was edited by Basilio Teodoro and published in the Diariong Tagalog in Manila on August 20, 1882.

His next article was Los Viajes or Travels and followed by Revista de Madrid or Review of Madrid but the latter was returned because the publication was ceased because of lack of funds.

ESSAY: Love of Country

It has been said that love has always been the most powerful force behind the most sublime actions. Well then, of all loves, that of country is the greatest, the most heroic and the most disinterested. Read history, if not, the annals, the traditions. Go to the homes, what sacrifices, self-denial, and ears are held on the sacred altar of the nation! From Brutus, who condemned his sons charged with treason, to Guzman the Good who allowed his son to die in order not to fail his duty, what dramas, what tragedies, what martyrdom have not been enacted for the welfare of that inexorable divinity who has not nothing to give you in return for your children but gratitude and blessings! And notwithstanding, with the pieces of their hearts they raise glorious monuments to their motherland; with the work of their hands, with the sweat of their brow, they have sprinkled and made fruitful her sacred tree, and neither have they expected nor received any reward..........