Chapter 9- REVEAL!

Josh didn't say anything in reply, he just walked off and I laid my head on my desk. I had a very bad head ache. During the lunch break, I felt relaxed. I mean, I had to, considering I had a test to revise for.
Kevin sat next to me and asked how I was doing. "Nice, actually". I replied with the most positive energy I could because I wanted to forget what happened. "Josh seems to have a soft spot for you. Because normally, he would've beat the confidence out of anyone who spoke to him like that" Kevin stated. "He's pissing me off for real. I wonder how he's not expelled yet, or in prison." I remarked.
"True, but now, how should we ask about Tricia's address and everything?" Cristal mentioned
Let's go ask for it, they're right there." I said, looking behind me, making reference to where Josh and Amber were.
Saying that, I went to meet them and Cristal and Kevin followed.
"Hey, you guys got the book?" I asked
Josh reached for his bag and handed me the book compliantly. I thanked him and left.
"Whoa. I'm not sure about this, guys. Josh and Amber surely want something in return for this. They DO NOT do favours", Kevin stated.
"Let's just worry about that later, at least we have the book now"
Soon enough , the closing hours came and it was time for me to go home. I said my goodbyes to necessary people and when I got to the gate, I saw Josh sitting there, on his phone.
He jumped off his seat when he saw me and approached me saying, "Hey!"
"What do you want?" I asked

"I want you to drop the attitude. I see you weren't very pleased with what I did today and I even gave you what you asked for, without asking for something in return. I don't usually do that! I did you a huge favour , hoping it'll be enough. Don't be like this."

"That's funny, I don't remember asking you for any favours"

"But I did it anyway!" What else do you want?" He asked in desperation.
"Why does it matter what I want? Why do you care so much? I've realised you aren't a bad boy after all, you're a bad person! You know what I want? Make sure that poor man doesn't loose his job. Set this right. Can you do that?" He stayed silent for a while and I waited impatiently for an answer. "I thought so" I said.

"You're insatiable" he said and left.
"We all are", I muttered to myself. On my way home, I kept thinking about why Josh was so interested in pleasing me. I thought of what it could be, but erased that thought as it was impossible. And as usual, I got home that day and buried myself in books, I read till I couldn't read anymore.

The next day in school, I was surprised to see Tricia in her seat even before I got to class. She sat in her seat looking around and showing no emotion. She looked like a robot! I didn't know how she was feeling as that would determine how I approached her.

"Hey!" I said waving at her as I skipped in to hug her, "Finally!"
"Oh please, I wasn't gone that long", Tricia replied. I giggled and told her all that happened while she was away. She didn't seem as interested as she usually did. I mean, she obviously wanted to know what happened but she showed no signs of excitement.

"Maybe I'm being too forward, she obviously isn't emotionally interested in this", I thought to myself. Time flew and in no time, Kevin and Cristal got to school and were of course, excited to see her. "We were so close to visiting you, girl! What happened?" Kevin stated. "You wanted to come see me? Are you crazy? Good thing you didn't!", Tricia said as he heaved a sigh of relief.
"Why don't you want us to see you" I asked
"Nothing, y'all have no idea where I live anyway" she answered.

"We were going to find out" Kevin mentioned
"Have you guys not seen my mum? How can you even think about going to her house? She looks like she could break you in half with her bare hands. I never told you where I live for a reason. Let's talk about something else, shall we?" Tricia added.

There was a prolonged silence between us, we were too stunned to speak after what Tricia said. I wondered why she talked about her mum like that. Referring to her as someone who's heartless and would harm little kids.
"Well, today's the last day of our tests. That's a good thing" Cristal said.
"That's nice, yeah" Kevin added awkwardly.

The next day, Tricia came to school, sad again. Kevin and I decided to ask Tricia more about her aunty and try to figure out what was happening as Cristal wasn't in school. It was the day after our tests, so of course we had no classes. Tricia had remained on her seat the whole day with her head on her desks as tears occasionally filled her eyes. She looked so depressed honestly. Kevin and I took her to a corner at the back of our class where it was more quiet. "Tell us everything, Tricia. Please. We're your friends, we'll assist you as much as we can." Kevin began.
"I can't tell you anything, she'll kill me and kill you too! It's too risky" Tricia said in panic. "No one will kill you, we'll protect you at all cost, and remember, things will remain the same if you don't tell someone about what's wrong", Kevin said, trying to reassure her. "What difference does it make? You guys can't do a thing", Tricia replied with a clear hint of sorrow. Her voice, filled with sadness evoked a sense of compassion, buttressing the melancholic cold atmosphere among us. "It will make a huge difference. A problem shared is half solved, okay? And we want to be here, to lend you a listening ear." I said, trying to show her that we were here for her, to listen and to ponder her problems too.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you, unless I ask you to", Tricia requested as a sense of hope lit up her face. "We promise." I replied.
"Okay. Please don't interrupt me and please tell me what I'm about to say won't make you run away from me or something", she added. She felt really insecure about her condition but we reassured her, "No matter what it is, we know you don't really have a choice either" Kevin answered.
"Okay" Tricia was about to speak but there seemed to be a lump in her throat, the thought of whatever she was about to say really scared her and she kept debating on where to start. She finally sighed and gathered the courage to speak.