▃▃ 𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖛.

𝕭𝖆𝖌 𝕺𝖋 𝕭𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖘,

chapter twenty-four.

‎ ‎ ‎

The old convertible hugged the winding coastal road as Felix and Gabriette embarked on a spontaneous weekend getaway from the hustle of Oxford. The salty breeze and the sound of waves breaking against the shore welcomed them as they neared the beach.

In the car, Felix, with his characteristic grin, adjusted his sunglasses and cranked up the volume on the radio. They cruised along the scenic route, the car becoming their own private karaoke stage. Singing along to Boulevard of Broken Dreams, they harmonized with infectious laughter.

"I walk this empty street, on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams where the city sleeps," The two sang, Gabriette freely dancing along in her position on the passenger side, her arms flailing around with joy.

Arriving at the deserted beach, they strolled along the shoreline, hand in hand. The warmth of the sand beneath their feet mirroring the comfort they found in each other.

The sea beckoned, its waves shimmering with the last traces of daylight. With abandon, they surrendered to the pull of the ocean. Shoes cast aside, they raced toward the water, and the playful splashes turned into a full immersion.

"Last one to the waves buys dinner!" Felix declared, playfully splashing water at Gabriette.

"Hey! No fair! That's cheating!" Gabriette protested as Felix surged ahead, diving into the water and vanishing within the waves.

Seconds later, the blonde joined him, the cool water providing a refreshing contrast to the warm spring air. Submerged, she embraced the silence before surfacing with a deep breath.

Searching for Felix, she found no sign of him. "Felix?" Gabriette called out, a hint of panic tugging at her.

Suddenly, a splash echoed behind her, accompanied by hands encircling her waist and lifting her effortlessly. A startled screech escaped Gabriette as she chided, "Felix, you can't startle me like that!"

She playfully swatted his arm. "You're lucky-" The blonde started, but Felix interrupted with a smile, "Hold your breath!"

A wave crashed over them, swallowing the two underwater.

Gabriette jolted awake, taking a moment to adjust to her surroundings. Felix's bedroom gradually became visible, making it clear that she wasn't, in fact, being held by Felix in the ocean.

"Fucking dreams," Gabriette whispers to herself, running her hands across her face.

Throughout the day, Gabriette remained confined to Felix's room, forgoing dinner and movie night.

Later in the night, after everyone had retired to their respective bedrooms, she took advantage of the quietude that enveloped the grounds. Making her way to the pool, she gazed toward the maze entrance, refraining from taking a single step closer to it than she already was.

Footsteps echoed behind her, steadily approaching. Without turning around, she knew it was Oliver.

He silently sat on the pool's edge beside her, watching her gaze drift off to the maze. Neither of them say anything for a stretched moment.

"I know you did it," Gabriette says, her tone hollow.

Oliver swallows yet shows no sign of distress, "Did what?"

The blonde softly scoffs after a beat, "You've lost us all, you know?"

"But then again, you never really had any of us at all," Gabriette continues, "You think you've become part of us, but you haven't. You're a pity case to them. Just a bag of bones Felix could drag around and make himself feel and look like a savior, like a humble person instead of a spoiled clothhead."

Oliver, unfazed by her accusations, looked at her with a detached expression. "What makes you think I'd do something like that?"

Gabriette's gaze remained fixed on the maze entrance. "Because you're desperate, Oliver. You can't stand losing control. Felix decided he'd had enough of you, and you couldn't handle it."

A wry smile played on Oliver's lips. "Your theories are fascinating, really. But you don't know anything."

She sighed, her eyes landing on the pool water in front of them. "You know, I've always loved bodies of water. Lakes, rivers, oceans. They're like secrets, holding so much beneath the surface. The sea, especially. It speaks more honestly to those willing to drown."

Oliver raised an eyebrow, "You find honesty in drowning?"

Gabriette chuckled bitterly. "Sometimes facing the depth of the abyss is the only way to find clarity. But you wouldn't understand. You're too busy playing the puppet master with other people's lives."

‎ ‎ ‎

this chapter took so long to be published because i was having such a hard time with writing it for no reason at all

this chapter took so long to be published because i was having such a hard time with writing it for no reason at all... anyway the book is reaching the end.