Future meets past

Colin leaned back in his seat, stretching his arms across the top of the seat. He and his friend, Marcy, were enjoying their typical Saturday night event of watching the sun set at the local park. Colin and Marcy had been friends since they were little kids and they happened to be polar opposite's as well! Colin was completely athletic while Marcy was an artistic bookworm. But somehow they maintained a great friendship, everyone at their school speculated on how this friendship worked.

“So, any plans for after senior year?” Marcy asked twisting sideways to look at Colin.

Colin groaned; he was tired of answering this question. Unlike Marcy, who knew she wanted to become a famous artist, Colin had no clue and nothing interested him. His father wanted him to join the military and it seemed to be the mostly likely choice.

“You know the answer to that, Marcy.” he gave her a bored expression.

“We only have a year left and I want to make sure joining the military is what you want?” she was said with honest concern.

“It'll be fine, my old man is going to hook me up so I can join the 'special' forces.” Colin winked.

Marcy shrugged giving up on the subject, then looked back to the setting sun. Colin continued to stare at Marcy; he had always looked at Marcy as just a friend – until she had gotten her first boyfriend. He had been so jealous that they didn't talk to for a long time, but Colin gave up and decided being friends with Marcy was better then nothing. A few weeks later, Marcy found out her boyfriend had cheated on her and Colin had taken the liberty to handle the situation by pounding his face in. That led to a week of the silent treatment from Marcy, but she soon forgot and came back. After those events Colin had been planning to ask Marcy out but hadn't yet found the courage.

“Colin, I need to get home.” Marcy said smiling causing Colin to wake up from his day dream.

With a swift nod and a turning of his keys, his black jeep roared to life. After dropping Marcy off, Colin headed home while pondering his future. He just wanted a little confirmation, somehow someway, just something to let him know that the military was the way to go. When he got home there was a note on the door which said that Colin's father and mother had gone out. This was not uncommon for them and Colin was used to having alone time at home. After grabbing a snack from the kitchen he headed up to his room. To his shock he walked into his room to find it totally trashed, living with a strict military father Colin's room was usually in pristine order. Looking around, all Colin found was a note on his desk saying: 'FOUND YOU!'

“The heck?” Colin said then hearing a loud thud from downstairs made him jump.

Dropping the note Colin sprinted down the stairs into the living room to find a man dressed in an all black uniform, like the ones you'd see in a sci-phi movie. The man had a helmet covering his face,

“Who are you?” Colin asked automatically.

The man looked around and raised his hands in a sign of peace,

“I'm a friend. That's all you need to know. What I need know is has anything happened out of the ordinary around here?” the masked stranger asked.