▃▃ 𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖎.

𝕭𝖆𝖌 𝕺𝖋 𝕭𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖘,

chapter twenty-two.

‎ ‎ ‎

The morning after the party reveals a scene of disarray everywhere around Saltburn. The aftermath is silent, with remnants of Venetia's cobweb dress strewn on the grass and traces of a wild night evident on the walled garden walls covered in vomit. Cigarette butts fill decorative bowls, and the gardeners work to clear the debris from the lawn. Maids diligently wipe away the remaining coke from toilet seats and coffee tables.

In the midday light streaming into Oliver's bedroom, the clock by his bed indicates it's nearly noon. Suddenly, shouts from the garden disrupt the quietness. "Felix!" Elspeth's voice echoes, joined by the frantic screams of Gabriette, Venetia, and Farleigh, all calling for Felix.

This commotion jolts Oliver upright in his bed. Wearing Felix's dressing gown, he ventures along the corridor, sensing that something is amiss. Staff members knock on bedroom doors, checking inside.

Venetia and Farleigh, still in last night's clothes, anxiously peer into the pond, hoping for any sign of Felix. Gabriette rushes through the garden, searching desperately in every nook and cranny of the flora.

However, her frantic pace comes to an abrupt halt. Staring into the distance, a realization seems to dawn on her. Frozen for a moment, she suddenly dashes off towards the maze, with Elspeth following closely behind, already on her way there.

Due to Gabriette running, she gets to the center first and just as she lets out a heart aching scream Elspeth arrives, and lets out a scream of her own.

The urgency of their screams draws everyone's attention. Venetia and Farleigh exit the pond, Sir James hurries towards the maze, and Duncan, momentarily revealing a glimpse of emotion-utter devastation-walks towards the garden.

Oliver, Venetia, Farleigh, and Sir James tear through the grounds toward the maze. In the maze's center lies Felix's lifeless body, still adorned with angel wings.

Farleigh and Venetia enter the maze, with Venetia collapsing to the ground. Farleigh attempts to comfort her. As Sir James arrives, walking slowly, Gabriette is already by Felix's side, her face buried in his shoulder blade as she clutches one of his hands, sobbing uncontrollably.

Total confusion and incomprehension cross Sir James' face. Eventually, Oliver staggers in. Sir James falls to his knees by Felix's body, prompting Gabriette to reluctantly pull away. She scoots back, letting out a hollow sob as she holds her legs to her chest.

Sir James strokes Felix's face, uttering, "Darling, darling boy," as he hugs his son's lifeless form. Looking up at Oliver and Farleigh, he pleads, "Help me move him. We need to get him inside. Get him warm."

Despite the struggle, Sir James attempts to lift Felix, but the effort is in vain. He stumbles back onto the ground, some of Felix's vomit smearing onto his shirt.

"We just need to get him warmed up," Sir James insists, but he can't lift him. He collapses onto the ground, and the horror becomes unbearable for everyone.

"Felix, darling, where's your jumper?... Where's your jumper?" Sir James mumbles before turning to Farleigh and Venetia, urging, "Come on now! Help me!"

"I don't think we can move him, James. I think the police-" Farleigh stammers, choked by sobs.

Stepping in to take control, Elspeth concurs, "Yes. Yes. Come away. It's nearly lunch, darling." Gabriette looks at Elspeth in horror, unable to comprehend her composed demeanor while her son lies dead before her.

Reluctantly, Sir James agrees, leaving the maze alongside his wife.

Farleigh and Venetia crawl over to Gabriette and hug, all three of them hold one another as they grieve.

Gabriette's mind flashes with memories of Felix only leaving her more devastated, her body shivers in Felix's t-shirt that she's wearing.

𝕱𝖑𝖆𝖘𝖍𝖇𝖆𝖈𝖐

In the midst of summertime at Saltburn, Felix and Gabriette found themselves drawn to the pool, seeking respite from the warmth of the day. The sun painted the water's surface with a shimmering dance of reflections, inviting them to create memories beneath its radiant glow.

As they waded into the refreshing pool, the playful splashes and laughter echoed through the air. Felix, with a mischievous glint in his eyes, attempted to splash water at Gabriette, who retaliated with a giggle and a well-aimed splash of her own.

Amidst the joyous chaos, Gabriette sat on the stairs submerged in the water looking at Felix float around, only his head abover water. She remarked with a smile, "You know, Felix, the sea speaks more honestly to those willing to drown."

Felix, intrigued by her poetic words, raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

She chuckled softly, "Well, when you let go of the need to stay afloat, when you surrender to the depths, that's when you truly hear its whispers. It's like life, you know? Sometimes, you have to let go and embrace the unknown to discover the beauty beneath the surface."

Felix, flashes a mischievous grin, "Well, well, well, looks like Saltburn's got its very own poet in the making."

She splashed a bit of water at him, playfully retorting, "Oh, a poet, am I? Well, you better watch out then, I might just start penning verses that'll make your heart skip a beat."

"You don't need a pen and a paper to make my heart skip a beat," Felix says with a sly smile, his eyes locking onto hers. "You manage to do that just fine by simply being around."

Gabriette laughs, shaking her head at Felix's cheesy lines. He swims up to her, scooping her into his arms, her legs instinctively wrapping around his waist while her arms find their place around his neck.

As Felix effortlessly holds her, he reaches out and gently tucks a strand of wet hair behind Gabriette's ear.

"Maybe," he said, his voice soft, "I'd be willing to drown a little more if it meant hearing the sea with you."

Gabriette's eyes glistened as a sweet smile played on her lips, "Oh Felix... I am the sea."

Mirroring her smile, Felix leans in, their lips meeting in a tender kiss.

As they break apart, Felix teasingly says, "Well, if you're the sea, I must be the sailor lost in your waves."

Gabriette chuckles, "Lost, huh? Maybe I like the idea of having a sailor who never wants to find his way back to shore."

Felix grins, "Then I'll gladly stay lost in your sea, Gabs."

‎ ‎ ‎

shit, i might just be more cheesy than felix after writing that flashback 🥴