Chapter Five: Brighter Than The Moon Herself

Start from the beginning

With her kimono on, she straddled the wooden pole, the only thing keeping her from the dangerous, dark, and freezing waters. Beside her hands were the small, peculiar teeth marks, and several more than the ones Mizu discovered earlier. The indents of molars piled over each other. Small enough to be human. Unnatural enough to not be.

Some were there from last night. Most from moments earlier. And all belonging to Sogo.

The waves crashed against the ship violently, and the foam leaped up like hands begging to be brought to the surface.

She slowly slid forward, pulling herself closer to the edge. . .

"I won't stop you if you want to jump."

Wide-eyed, her face turned to the ship behind her. Mizu was on the deck, watching her. Returning from delivering Fowler his book, she found Sogo's door wide open and immediately went to look for her.

"Although, I don't think you really want to."

Her nose was a bright red as she sat in between the violent winds. Her tangled, frizzy hair was like tree branches howling through the forceful breeze.

Mizu stared at Sogo's face with heightened focus. The woman's round, monolid eyes with downturned lashes gave her the appearance of a doe as she stared back. The clash of such an angelic face with the gruesome action of jumping to death wasn't lost on her. Mizu noted sharks circling as she navigated throughout the night. There were better, cleaner ways to die.

I'm glad you came. Sogo's subconscious suddenly said. Rejecting her own desperate thought,  she tore her gaze away from Mizu to the treacherous sea below her.

"Drowning is a terrible way to go. You know that better than anybody," Mizu said, extending her palm out from the safety of the ship. "I could end your life for you instead, Sogo."

Her eyes widened. She slowly turned her intense gaze from the teeth of the ocean to Mizu. Those clear eyes were stronger than any moon above the sea. She was tugged from each direction, although they both led to tragedy.

Analyzing the onryō's expression, the ningyo noticed he meant those words. He'd painlessly end her suffering. A mercy killing.

In a rage, her eyes swelled with tears. "I don't want to die at the hands of a man."

She stared back intently into the water and scooted closer to the end of the bowspirit. Mizu lowered her extended arm in shock as if bracing herself. These weren't merely words or flirtations with death anymore. She was going to jump.

Sogo neared the end of the bowspirit. She could either let go or slip off the edge. Usually, ship bows had an ornament or mask for spiritual protection against evil elements on their long, ocean-bound journeys. This vessel had none.

She heard the landing of feet beside her and looked over her shoulder. Mizu, with all the balance and agility of a samurai, stood perfectly still on the bowsprit that moved with the motions of the sea. Behind her was the full moon, illuminating the silhouette of her body. She stood before Sogo like a transcendental being, and again, she offered her hand out, seeking hers to close the distance.

His eyes... are brighter than the moon herself.

Sogo felt her heart clench inside her. The temptations of attraction dared to pulse through her as if she hadn't wised up about the men in this world.

No... I'd rather...

Mizu felt fear tumult her senses as Sogo's hands released the bowsprit, clasped between her knees. She leaned forward, letting the weight of her body take her fall into the water. She closed her eyes peacefully, her kimono catching air. The only milliseconds of peace before fighting for oxygen in the freezing waters. The last thing she saw in the darkness taking her to nonexistence — was bright blue eyes.