XXXI: My Brother's Keeper

Start from the beginning

Briana had been folding napkins for way longer than she cared to admit. The only good thing about the mundane task is it gave her more time to think. Lately Briana felt like all she did was make decisions and create plans. Her brain was beyond exhausted. 

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Caroline and Elena chatting at one of the other tables. Briana hurried over to them in desperate need of a break and a distraction. 

"But Stefan is your soulmate!" Briana heard Caroline say as she reached the table. 

"Didn't they break up?" Briana questioned as both girls looked towards her with furrowed brows wondering how the news of Stefan and Elena's breakup traveled that fast.

Briana shrugged, "Damon texted me." She revealed earning a scoff and eyeball from Caroline. 

"Of course he did." The blonde spoke with irritation, "He's probably screaming it from the roof tops." 

"And that would be a bad thing because..?" Briana drawled out. There was no denying that obviously Briana wanted her best friend to get the girl. 

Say what you will about Damon, when it comes to Elena, his feelings, his intentions and his love for her are pure. 

"You guys said you wouldn't pick sides." Elena said silently wishing for the bickering to stop. 

Briana but her hands up in surrender, "You're right. We're sorry. We just want what's best for you." 

Caroline nodded in agreement at Briana's words before looking back at her sister, "Don't you have napkins to fold?" 

Briana rolled her eyes and sneered jokingly, "I'm on a break." 

"It's not like I don't love Stefan anymore, but I can't deny that ever since I turned my feelings for Damon have become more intense." Elena admitted gettin the conversation back on track. 

"Yeah I know Stefan filled me in on all gory Damon details." Caroline revealed as Elena furrowed her brow. 

"He did?" She questioned as Caroline nodded in confirmation. 

"Is he... okay?" Elena hesitantly asked Caroline. It was written all over the doppelgängers face that she still cared for both brothers. 

"No he's heartbroken." Caroline spoke harshly causing Elena to be slightly taken back. 

"What was she supposed to do? Lie to Stefan when she still has feelings for his brother?" Briana jumped in at Elena's defense. 

"No, but she wasn't supposed to let Damon weasel his way into her confused newbie vampire heart." Caroline spoke. 

"Well, he did. And that's exactly what I am.. confused. I need to figure out what these feelings actually mean." Elena spoke innocently. 

Briana felt for the girl, she knew first hand what it was like to battle your feelings and conscious. 

"You can't help who you love." Briana spoke truthfully, "Take it from me.." 

Elena exchanged a soft, thankful smile with Briana. Briana knew what it was like to have the whole world telling you that you shouldn't love the man you do, she didn't want Elena to feel that guilt. She deserved happiness. 

"Excuse me." A voice interrupted the girls, "I'm a little lost. I'm here to interview contestants." 

"You're Professor Shane?" Elena asked innocently as all three girls eyed each other knowingly. 

"That's right. Professor by day, apparently pageant judge by other day." The curly haired professor joked. 

All the girls let out stifled chuckles as Caroline directed him where to go. He expressed his gratitude before going on his way.