Stumbling backwards only to remember the crows and melting shadow. A hoard of fluttering wings filled the air; black feathers cascading down. The crows swirled around them. Desperately, searching for a way out but there was nowhere to run as the creature advanced towards her.

In one swift movement, it had a hold of her arm, pulling her closer. Screaming out, pain erupted from her arm and spreading throughout her body. It felt like someone had cut off her flesh and poured salt into the open wound.

Where the creature touched her, an elegant mark appeared. It morphed into fine black swirls that began to grow and spread she could feel something cold sliding over her skin. "Don't fight it." Soft wind chimes whispered in her ear, "It's almost over."

She knew the cold feeling was the black sludge attaching itself to her, she did her best to resist but it was so hard when the cold darkness was comforting. As she faded in and out of consciousness, the pain became more excruciating as the marks traveled to her back like a cold flame. Her screams became muted as she drifted off to the darkness, praying someone would save her.

"Why pray to be saved when you can save yourself?" With unseeing eyes, the world caved in as she fell into darkness.

"Amethyst, wake up."

Amethyst body jerked forward, her heart pounding hard in her chest. Looking around to see she was back in the book store. Letting out a sigh of relief, while mumbling, "It was only a dream," Mark gave me a perplexed look.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I just had an odd dream that felt painfully real."

He nodded, looking down at the book that was still in her hands. "What's that?"

Unable to resist, a smirk played on her lips. "It's a book."

"Well duh. Where did it come from?"

"I found it on one of the selves. I thought it looked like an interesting read but, sadly enough, it's blank."

He reached for it but she quickly jerked it away from him. He looked at her as if she were crazy and said, "Do you mind if I take a look at it?"

Debating with herself for a moment only to cautiously hand it to him, her gut twisting as he flipped through the pages

"It must be an old journal that was left here. Since you're so fond of it, take it with you," Mark generously offered when he saw that she didn't plan on loosening her clutch on the tome.

"But want you get in trouble with your parents?" She hesitated, secretly wanting it, but feeling like she shouldn't take it from here.

He chuckled. "I doubt they even know this is here, so yeah, you can have it."

Like a kid in a candy store, she smiled up at him even though her instincts were screaming, Burn the book! Amethyst ignored her better judgment but honestly that wasn't too much of a surprise. Placing the book in her bag she followed Mark out of the book store, their friends waiting patiently outside.

Half-listening as they discussed where we would go next. Her body on auto-pilot, silently following them.

"Hey, are you okay?" a worried voice snapped her out of her reverie.

She looked up at Mark and smiled, subconsciously rubbing her arm. "Yeah...I just feel a little off."

"Do you need me to walk you home?" he offered with a lick of his mint chocolate chip ice cream.

She chuckled. "That's sweet of you, but I'm fine." She took another lick of her strawberry ice cream and stumbled.

"You know walking backwards isn't a wise idea especially for you," he smirked at her. "You should try paying attention."

"Yeah I know but where's the fun in that."

Listening quietly as Mark chatted about his day, but she couldn't seem to get her mind off the throbbing in her arm and back. Her stomach twisted as an uneasy feeling consumed her, a cold sweat crept up her spine, and pain constricted her chest while the throbbing in her back got worse. The air around her felt thick as she stumbled forward. The rhythmic ticking started again followed by the sound of a song that was so familiar but she couldn't place it. Where had she heard it before?

"Amethyst?" She looked up at Emily to see her eyes full concern. She spoke again, but her words didn't register. What did register was the man who walked by them. His appearance wasn't what caught her eye, but the shadow-like creature wrapped around his body. Its red eyes bore into hers as it watched her intently. Only until the man disappeared was she able to tear her eyes away.

Harsh and twisted voices filled her thoughts. "Did you see her? She's the one they speak of, the Demon-"

Amethyst knees buckled out from underneath her, causing her to crash to the cruel cement below. Slowly, fading into darkness, but not until a new voice echoed in her mind.

"The clock strikes midnight and it is time for you to rise. Awake from your slumber. No longer shall you dream of pleasant things for your blind eyes have been restored. So arise, my child. Do you not hear me calling? For I warn you, the wolves are at your door and they grow stronger by the second. So run and hide or stand and fight, but remember, child, the enemy can hear your heartbeat and they thirst for your blood."