▃▃ 𝖝𝖛𝖎𝖎.

𝕭𝖆𝖌 𝕺𝖋 𝕭𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖘,

chapter seventeen.

‎ ‎ ‎

𝕿𝖍𝖊 next morning, everyone was startled awake by yelling from downstairs, prompting Felix and Gabriette to hastily get decent enough to leave Felix's room.

Upon exiting, they found Venetia crouched down by the spiral landing, peering down at the commotion.

"Vee, what the fuck is going on?" Felix inquires, but his sister quickly hushes him. Oliver also emerges on the landing, and Venetia pulls the three of them down to her level.

"It's Farleigh," she whispers. The four of them peer down the banister, and Oliver quietly asks, "What happened?"

"He tried to nick something," Venetia explains, her words leaving Gabriette and Felix puzzled.

Frowning, Felix whispers back, "What are you talking about?"

"He's a fucking idiot," Venetia spits back, clearly with no regard for Farleigh.

Oliver queries, "What did he try to steal?" However, before anyone can answer, Farleigh's desperate pleas echo through the landing.

"Please, please Elspeth—" he begs, tears streaming down his cheeks and his voice hoarse with pain.

Duncan places a firm hand on Farleigh's back, guiding him down the stairs with a harsh, "Move."

Elspeth watches him leave in silence, but suddenly her gaze shoots up, catching sight of them eavesdropping.

"Fuck," Felix mutters, and they all quickly move away from the banister to avoid Elspeth's gaze.

𝕷𝖆𝖙𝖊𝖗...

At the garden pond, Venetia and Gabriette lay next to each other on the pontoon, their hair trailing in the water, while Felix and Oliver sit on the grass.

Beside Gabriette, Venetia vents, "I mean, it's outrageous!" The blonde exclaims in frustration.

"What actually happened?" Oliver questions, glancing between the two siblings.

"He sent an email to Sotheby's about 'acquiring' some Palissy plates. I mean, the idiot. He had to have known Dad went to school with the chairman," Felix explains.

"I mean, talk about biting the hand. Mum and Dad would give him anything he asked for!" Venetia continues, a flicker of guilt crossing Felix.

"Yeah, well, obviously he got sick of asking," as the two siblings continue their conversation, Oliver notices that Gabriette has been unusually quiet since they arrived at the pond.

Just as Felix admits it was incredibly stupid, Oliver interjects, "You alright, Gabs?"

Gabriette simply nods, adjusting her sunglasses to further cover her eyes without saying a word.

"Yeah, what's wrong with you? You're the one who always has opinions, and you haven't said anything!" Venetia remarks, nudging Gabriette's shoulder.

After a moment, Gabriette shrugs, "I just don't believe he did it."

Her words prompt Venetia to scoff, "Of course he had to have done it, Gabs! He—" Felix adds but is interrupted by his sister, "Guys, guys, guys."

She looks behind Felix and Oliver, signaling the arrival of Elspeth and Sir James, making them all go quiet and drop the topic.

"Oliver, don't mention it, okay?" Felix quietly instructs his friend.

"What happens if they bring him up?" Oliver questions, eliciting knowing laughter from both Venetia and Gabriette.

"They won't," Felix reassures, sounding sure of it.

As Elspeth and Sir James join them, they sit down on the lounge chairs and begin discussing the weather, ignoring the elephant in the room.

As their aimless chatter continues, Gabriette suddenly rises from the pontoon. Venetia notices first and frowns, confused.

With a sigh, Gabriette walks away from everyone, making them all to go quiet and watch the blonde leave.

As she disappears into the house, Felix quickly stands up and goes after her.

Gabriette heads to a place she rarely visits – her bedroom. The one where she never sleeps or does anything in, so stepping into it feels strange.

Locking the door behind her, she proceeds into the untouched bedroom and the adjoining bathroom.

Immediately stripping out of her swimsuit, she steps into the shower. Showers are rare in this house; usually all the bathrooms have baths.

In the shower, Gabriette stands under the running water, motionless. Not even realizing thag she'd started crying.

She doesn't believe Farleigh did it. He isn't that stupid. If anything, he would be the last person to steal something from someone like the Cattons. He's never done anything that would jeopardize his position in this house. Why would he do it now?

It's the second person quietly sent away from Saltburn, and Gabriette doesn't like it. It isn't right.

When Gabriette eventually exits the shower and steps out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her torso, she's surprised to see Felix lying on the bed.

Startled, Gabriette holds eye contact with him for a moment before soundlessly heading for the closet — not even questioning how he got in when the door was locked. Opening it, she finds clothes she hasn't worn in months.

"I looked through the whole house for you. I didn't expect to find you here. You never come here," Felix speaks, receiving no response from Gabriette as she stares at the array of clothes.

Felix softly sighs, getting up from the bed and walking over to where she stands. He blindly picks out a random outfit from the closet and tosses it on the bed.

Peeling off the towel from Gabriette's body, he lets it drop to the floor, placing a kiss on her shoulder blade before dressing her in silence.

Once he's finished, he takes Gabriette to the bed, lying down with her and holding her to his chest, her back perfectly molding with his chest.

"He didn't do it," she whispers, and Felix doesn't say anything back.

Gabriette softly smiles, away from Felix's view, tightening her hold with Felix's intertwined hand.

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎