▃▃ 𝖝𝖛.

𝕭𝖆𝖌 𝕺𝖋 𝕭𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖘,

chapter fifteen.

‎ ‎ ‎

𝕾𝖔𝖒𝖊 time later, Felix reluctantly joined the family in the garden after Gabriette managed to convince him. Despite his playful and flirty demeanor in his room, upon seeing everyone at the table, his mood took a swift downturn.

Sitting down sulkily, Felix found himself next to Oliver. Gabriette, after receiving a kiss on the back of her hand from Felix and returned to her seat.

"Morning. You sleep well?" Oliver greeted, observing his friend's slouched posture.

"Not really, mate. No," Felix replied with a sharp edge to his words.

The tense exchange was swiftly overshadowed by Sir James' obliviousness. "We're thirty for dinner tomorrow night. Stopford Sackville has cried off."

Elspeth, with unconvincing concern, spoke, "Oh dear, that's a shame."

Venetia, Felix, and Farleigh collectively sighed, leaving Oliver and Gabriette with puzzled expressions.

"God. I forgot about dinner," Felix muttered.

"I didn't even know there was a dinner," Gabriette shrugged, nonchalant as she bit into her French toast.

Farleigh, inquisitive, asked, "Wait, who is coming to dinner again?"

"The Henrys," Venetia dryly responded, prompting a displeased groan from Farleigh. "No! Please!"

Unaware, Oliver interjected, "Who are the Henrys?"

"Dad's friends. They're all called Henry," Venetia clarified, turning to her father when he spoke, "Not all of them! Just most..."

"It'll be fun!" Elspeth comments, trying to lighten the mood.

"It'll be being molested by Henry," Venetia says, looking pointedly at her father, "You know which one!"

Elspeth juts in, once again sugar coating the situation, "I'll put you next to Oliver then! He can molest you instead," At this, Venetia blushes and goes back to her plate, and Felix looks furious at his mother's words and Venetia's reaction.

"Oh Oliver, I was going to say, we should do something fun for your birthday. A proper party. No Henrys! Something actually fun," Elspeth steers the conversation away from the Henry dinner to a topic that makes Oliver freeze in his seat.

She turns to her husband, "What do you think, darling?"

"If Oliver would like it, then I think it's a splendid idea," Sir James nods, looking over at Oliver.

"I think Oliver looks like he'd rather throw himself out of a window," Farleigh intercepts, and is followed by Gabriette's comment, "I know I would. Nothing good ever comes out of such parties."

Elspeth simply waves the two off, "Nonsense," She looks expectantly at Oliver.

Mustering up words, he finally speaks, "What kind of party?"

"I don't know, whatever you want," Elspeth replies, "What do you think? About a hundred people?"

Oliver's eyes widen at the number, "A hundred?"

"He doesn't even know a quarter amount of that many people," Gabriette says lowly.

"Or two. It invariably ends up being two, doesn't it, with this sort of thing... Invite whoever you want. All your friends," Elspeth ignores Gabriette's input, making the girl roll her eyes.

"What friends?" Farleigh mutters and prompts a muffled laugh from Gabriette, who holds up her hand, subtly high-fiving the boy next to her.

Oliver's eyes fleet between the amused duo and Felix, who is completely shut out of the conversation and in his own head.

Sir James interrupts, with childish delight in his voice, "Oh! Oh! How about fancy dress?"

Elspeth's shoulders jump up in delight, "Oh! Yes!"

"So much for Oliver deciding the theme of his own party," the blonde lowly comments, not surprised.

"I can wear my suit of armor, Elspeth!" Sir James exclaims excitedly.

"Good idea, darling!" Elspeth gushes, appraising.

Suddenly, Venetia gets up with a huff, stomping off aggravated that Oliver's attention wasn't on her anymore. God, Gabriette would've liked to do the same. Just be able to stomp off anytime she pleased.

"We could have a theme! What about Midsummer Night's Dream?" Elspeth suggests, not letting anyone even give their input after Sir James agrees with her.

"Bring on the slutty fairies," Farleigh concludes and Gabriette sighs, her head in her hands muttering something incoherent.

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎