"Sorry, son. You can drive on Fridays so you can get to Jummah, but otherwise unless you're bringing something unwieldy or need to get somewhere quickly afterwards, you can walk."

"Right, right. It makes sense. I just wanted to show it off."

"Maybe Wednesday at the lighting ceremony," Adam suggested, walking into the room carrying Harper.

Tim took in the front of his youngest's pajama shirt. "Are you feeding her grits like cereal again?"

"It's hulva, and she likes it that way."

"Just don't let Yem see you do that," Kamal joked. "Yo, fam, are we ready to go?!"

Kendra and DeJames came out of the kitchen, grabbing jackets and bags. Josey practically tumbled down the stairs in his haste. "Shit, I didn't get breakfast."

"I'll grab you something," Adam volunteered, setting Harper down.

Josey pulled on his jacket and jammed his shoes on without untying them.

"You're going to break down the backs doing that," Tim warned. "And we can't just go to the mall and buy a new pair."

"Sorry. I didn't think about that."

"Here you go." Adam handed Josey a bandana-wrapped bundle.

"Thanks. What's inside?"

"All the savory things we had left from breakfast in a tortilla."

"Sounds good."

"See you guys after school," Tim called after their kids. "Don't run while eating!" He shut the door, shaking his head. "Where's Harper?"

"I thought you had her." Adam glanced around the room, then cocked his head to one side, walking to the guest room.

Michael looked up as he opened the door and smiled. Harper was in her lap.

"Sorry to disturb you. We were getting the school kids out the door."

"Yes, I heard the elephant parade." She patted Harper's leg. "I think your dad wants to get you cleaned up."

Harper pointed to Ulises and leaned towards Michael. "He seepy?" she whispered.

"Yes, dear. He's been very sick, but he's getting better. He needs lots of sleep."

"Come on, hon, let's let Ulises sleep."

Harper nodded. "Ooly seep now."

"Yes. Ooly sleep now."

***

Tim sat down on the hall tree bench to put his shoes on, then glanced over at Adam. "What's up? Are you feeling sick?"

Adam nodded. "Just a little nauseated."

"I can tell. Should you get it checked out?"

Adam shrugged. "Something didn't sit well, I guess?"

"With all these new foods, it was bound to happen eventually. Should I stay?"

"Do you think you can--" Adam stopped mid-sentence, quickly moving Harper out of his lap and dashing to the downstairs restroom.

Harper blinked at Tim, who was fighting waves of secondary nausea. "Dada mean! He--" She made a pushing motion with her hands.

"No, hon. Dada is sick." He rubbed his stomach, even though he knew the sensation was coming from Adam.

"Oh." A very recognizable sound came from the bathroom. Harper nodded. "Dada sick."

The door to the guest room opened. "Is everything okay?" Michael asked.