Five

Twisting Trust

  The soft glow of the cauldron fires was the most prominent light in the room. The heavy scent of magical ingredients mingled in the air along with the stench of a few sweaty Gryffindors after their quidditch practise.

  Slughorn paced the room quietly, flicking through his book in a manner not understanding of the time. The students waited patiently, cautious to talk before the Professor actually started the lesson. 

  Rosalie found herself sandwiched between Coriolanus and Riddle, the space between them charged with an uncomfortable tension. Corio leaned in, a closeness that seemed more about proving something than anything else.

  Tom, on the other hand, appeared entirely disinterested in the situation. His demeanour conveyed a sense of boredom as he occasionally glanced down at Rosalie. These glances only occurred when she had her concentration solely on Coriolanus's perplexing behaviour, as if Tom found something annoying in the observed dynamic.

  The air buzzed with a subtle tension when Professor Slughorn finally shut the book.

  "Well, today we will be working in pairs. You'll be completing a practical assessment that will be graded, so I expect the very best from all of you." The Professor leant over his table and sent a stern look into everyone's eye.

  Corio tugged at Rosalie's sleeve, whispering down at her.

  "You and me?" He asked very quietly. Rosalie didn't reply, not wanting to upset Slughorn while he spoke.

  "Now, Coriolanus, you'll have plenty of time to speak after class." Slughorn told him off. Coriolanus held back a frown, and leant away from Rose.

 "You'll be making what is known as Mandrake Restorative Draught in this lesson, can someone please tell the class the use of this potion? Miss Evans perhaps?" Slughorn looked down to Rosalie, who smiled happily at the question.

  "Most certainly, Professor." Rosalie began, Tom tried to hide his annoyance for the girl.

  "It's a kind of healing potion to restore those who have been transfigured or cursed to their original state. For example, if someone were to become petrified and paralysed, someone would be able to use this potion to bring their mobility back."  

  Tom had a glint of his usual curiousity for Rosalie back in his eye as he watched her speak, mentioning petrification. Was it possible she knew what sort of a creature was able to do that?

  Slughorn clapped his hands together in delight, looking around the classroom to show his appreciation for the girl. "Absolutely perfect, as usual, Rosalie." Slughorn nodded at her.

  Rosalie smiled back, happy to show off. Especially in front of someone who was as jealous as Tom Riddle.

  "The Restorative Draught is a rather advanced potion to Brew, so this is why I have decided to put you in pairs." Slughorn rummaged through his papers on the desk, picking one out of the many and returning to the front of the students.

  He went down the list with his index finger, tilting back his head to see the page with his poor eyesight. 

  "Before you all start asking, I have already chosen your pairs for you, to make it fair." Slughorn kept his eyes on the paper.

  The students  in the class begun to groan, muttering and moaning about it to their next door neighbours. The only ones who seemed unharmed by this were Rosalie and Tom.

  "Yes, yes, it's only for an hour or so, so don't bother complaining." Slughorn peered up at the tiring students. 

  "Alright. We have Marionette and Leone." Slughorn look up, watching the two of them walk to meet each other at a table