20 | Rainbow of Destruction

Start from the beginning

"What? No. No, she's just resting," Hilarius Heavensbee, Wovey's mentor, insisted, walking closer to the screen.

"I don't get it," Vera replied, glancing at all the other mentors, "What did she die from?"

"Probably dehydration or starvation. She hasn't had any food or water in days," Coriolanus answered with an interestingly worried look on his face.

"But she had a water bottle in her hand. And it's only been three days. She couldn't have died from starvation that quickly," Vera insisted, but quickly stopped when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Coriolanus is probably right," Hilarius cut in, "Besides, it's not like it matters. She's dead anyways."

Vera clenched her jaw before looking at a slumped Wovey one more time and nodding her head. What did Coriolanus know that she didn't?

But Vera's suspicion of Wovey's death only grew stronger when she noticed Reaper's expression as he looked between the water and Wovey. He clearly knew something was up.

"See? Why should I feed him when he refuses to eat?" Clemmie yelled out as Reaper dropped the apple in favor of taking care of Wovey.

"I think he thinks they're poisoned," Vera muttered, "I mean that little girl's death was suspicious."

From the corner of her eye, Vera could see the way Coriolanus clenched his jaw at her comment, but he still remained quiet.

"Alright, I think we've had enough of your conspiracy theories today," said Festus as he gestured for her to follow him, "Let's get some food to help with those delusions."

"But-"

"Vera. It's lunchtime. Let's go," Festus insisted waving toward the cafeteria. With a grunt, Vera rose from her seat, begrudgingly following behind him.

"Fine."

-

Lunch also proved to be a rather ridiculous affair. Vera had not been very hungry, so instead, she headed outside for some air. She hadn't intended to walk in on a fight between Treech 'fans' and Coral 'supporters'.

"They're children!" Vera shouted at the crowd as the two groups, "Not the dogs you bet on at those retched brawls you all go to!"

Instantly, the girl's loud voice caught everyone's attention as she yelled, forcing cameras on her.

"You're all sick! All of you!! Standing there with your signs and shirts as if you're not rooting for the death of children!" Vera continued to scream as the crowd grunted in response.

"That's enough, Ms. Whitestone," one of the Peacekeepers announced, grabbing onto her arm and escorting her into the auditorium.