Hero's Best Friend x Villain

A single gunshot rang through the air, and my knees buckled as the bullet hit the center of my forehead and exploded all over my best friend and the wall beside me.

But that hadn't really happened.

Instead, I stood there with blood splattered on my face and clothes, shaking and choking out sobs while trying not to shit myself.

In the background, all that I could hear was her loud and obnoxious laughter, then eventually the sound of the empty gun falling to the floor.

"I TOLD YOU HE WOULDN'T CHOOSE YOU!" She cackled harder, finding a sick joy in her triumph or proving herself right.

I stared at him as he held her body in his arms. Begging her to wake up and stay with him despite the brain matter and blood leaking all over his pants.

Her laughter lightened to a soft chuckle, and I heard her echoing footsteps draw closer and closer. "Didn't I tell you that he would pick her? He doesn't love you the way that I love you."

Her hand pressed against my cheek softly, wiping some of the blood and tear mixture off my face. "He could never love you the way that I love you. I would do anything for you. I would sacrifice the world to keep you happy my darling. But him? He would throw you off a cliff for a couple of fucking skinheads as long as he kept his title of hero."

It was unsettling how soft and comforting her voice was, compared to the words that pounded against my skull and left echoey imprints of the doubts I've always had.

"My love?" She asked, her hand gliding down my jaw to hold my chin in her hands. "Are you okay?"

"Don't touch me." I whispered back to her, shoving her hand away.

"IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THEM!" He wailed loudly, rocking back and forth with her limp body still clutched tightly in his arms. "IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THEM!"

She grabbed my shoulders suddenly and pointed me in the direction of my best friend.

"Look at him."

"No." I turned my head away sharply.

"LOOK. AT. HIM." She grabbed my chin as hard as she could, squeezing my cheeks and forcing me to look at the scene happening before us. "He. Doesn't. Love. You. He never did. You weren't important to him then, and you certainly won't be now." She spat at me, using her grip on my face to drag me onto the floor.

"She was important to him. So important he was ready to let me kill you to save her! He tossed you aside like a piece of fucking roadkill he found in his driveway. He's lucky I love you so much and would never hurt a hair on your head." She rambled quickly, dropping onto her knees on the floor next to me, slowly raising her hands to cup my face, brushing her thumb over my cheeks. "I know you're confused, and you're scared, hurt even. But eventually you'll realize who truly cares about you and who wants what's best for you." Tears welled up in her eyes and she smiled at me.