▃▃ 𝖛𝖎𝖎.

𝕭𝖆𝖌 𝕺𝖋 𝕭𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖘,

chapter seven.

‎ ‎ ‎

Apparently, it was Felix and Oliver's turn to be on the outs with each other. According to what Gabriette had heard from Felix, tensions arose when Oliver had complained about Felix's room's cleanliness and started cleaning it one afternoon - which Felix didn't appreciate. So after Oliver left Felix's room that evening, the Catton boy has been avoiding him ever since.

Gabriette wasn't surprised. Those who served Felix did so invisibly, shielding him from the awareness of the responsibilities others took on for him. And Oliver's demand for self-reflection had triggered Felix, leading to their current estrangement.

However, whatever grunge that was being held fell away one evening when Felix received a knock on his door. Opening it, he found a distraught Oliver, surprising him. "Ollie-what's happened?"

Felix glanced back into his room, seeing the bathroom door slightly ajar and the shower running, "Gabs, come out here real quick," the boy called.

Seconds later, Gabriette joined Felix at the door, surprised when she spotted Oliver, overcome with sobs and an incoherent mess, "Hey, come here," Felix said, stepping aside and motioning for Oliver to enter.

After some time and a cup of tea, Oliver said he'd received a call from home with the unfortunate news of his father's passing. Gabriette felt a familiar pang in her heart, knowing the pain Oliver was going through.

"How did it happen?" Gabriette asked gently as they sat in a somber huddle on the floor.

"Cracked his head on the pavement. Probably drunk, knowing Dad," Oliver mumbled, his cheeks tear-stained and eyes bloodshot.

"Fucking hell," Felix muttered. "Jeez, I'm... I'm so sorry, Ollie, that's..."

"That's terrible," Gabriette finished sympathetically.

"It's just a shock," Oliver commented softly.

"How's your mum?" Felix inquired.

"She was completely incoherent, which is... pretty normal for her," Oliver answered, his tone hollow.

As the weight of Oliver's father's passing settled in the room, Felix spoke up, "They're going to have to let you skip exams. You're in no state to do them now. You've got to go home."

Oliver shook his head. "No, I can't miss the exams."

"Of course, you can miss the exams," Felix shot back.

"No, I can't! No. I'm not like you, Felix. This is all I have." Oliver's words hung heavy in the air, prompting Felix to glance at Gabriette for support. However, she seemed lost in her own somber thoughts.