Chp 4: Buffer time

Start from the beginning

Rutherford: You never admit the actual amount of time it takes to finish the job. If you did, your days would be packed.

Tendi: Isn't that lying?

Rutherford: No, its creative estimating. When you get an assignment, you exaggerate how long its gonna take, then you're a hero when its done early.

YN: Either way, I wouldn't have to worry. Its not like the end of the world, sometimes we just gotta take a moment to relax before we get started a new tasks.

Mariner: Eh, its just a buffer time. No biggie.

Tendi: And you're okay with this?

Boimler: No! If it were up to me, we'd never take a break. But its lower decks tradition.

YN: Sounds like you can finish a lot of assignment for one hour.

Boimler: Just wait. By the time you finished buffer time, I'd be done with all of my task.

Just then Tendi got a call from Dr T'ana and ask Tendi of how long it'll take to repair the biobed.

Tendi: Oh uh, that would take about five

Tendi: Oh uh, that would take about five....(Smiles.) hours.

T'ana: [Excuse me...!? (Smiles.) That's great!] (Hangs up.)

Mariner: (Smiles.) Aw Tendi, look at us. Lower decks, breaching protocol together. Friendship!

YN: Hey, so what would happen if the commanders find out about our buffer time?

Rutherford: You kidding me? If anything, it would be a total disaster even for the bridge crew.

Mariner: And that is why we keep it to ourselves. What they don't know, wouldn't hurt them.

They raise their glasses together before drinking their margaritas. Meanwhile the captain's walking through the ships, wondering isn't the crew are busy on their work and just acting they got nothing to do but to relax. Soon she arrive to the turbo lift where Boimler is as the turbo lift heads to the bridge.

Boimler: Cap'n. I mean, captain.

Freeman: ...Anything to report, ensign?

Boimler: Uh, keeping busy. I inventoried Cargo bay four, assisted with the baryon sweep of the warp nacelles, skipped buffer time and went straight to work on-

Freeman: Turbo lift halt!

The turbo lift stops as the captain glares at him which he has nowhere to escape.