Linger

When fifteen-year-old Chloe Maxwell moves with her mother to a small suburban town, it doesn't take long before rumors of a local legend summon an urge to investigate. Unbeknownst to everyone, even those closest to her, Chloe has a secret: she can see ghosts.

For decades, stories of a former classmate haunting the halls of Apple Valley High School have circulated, scaring the squeamish and enticing the brave. The dead girl's soul is said to linger, making her presence known to those nearby. Unusual cold spots, flickering lights and the unexplained scent of roses have all been blamed on the spirit of Rose Marie Foster, whose activity has increased since Chloe's arrival.

But it's just an urban legend, right?

When Chloe comes face to face with the desperate specter, she sets out on a quest to release the entity, hoping she'll cross over to the other side. However, freeing the trapped spirit isn't as easy as it sounds, leaving Chloe to wonder if her clairvoyance is enough to help Rose move on, or will she put herself in danger of a fate worse than death?

This is a work of fiction. Characters, places, events and incidents are either products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual circumstances is purely coincidental. Darly Jamison © Copyright 2015. All Rights Reserved.

*Image courtesy of Amy Goelz*