13 | The Last Time

Start from the beginning

"You shouldn't worry about me, Treech," Vera mumbled, forcing herself to look away where she spotted Coryo and Lucy Gray huddled together. 

"But I do," Treech urged, looking back at her as he once again pleaded for her attention. Vera kept her gaze on Coryo though, choosing to find something else to watch instead of listening to her thoughts.

But watching Coryo only confused her further. Especially when she noticed him quickly slip her a makeup compact she faintly recognized as his mothers and wiped tears with a handkerchief. 

What good would be a compact in the arena?  Vera thought that it could possibly be a memory, but Coryo wasn't usually the sentimental type. There had to be another reason for giving her that. 

"Vera," Treech spoke, drawing her attention again. 

"Sorry," Vera mumbled as she finally turned back to her conversation, "I just can't keep myself together today."

"No more game talk then," said Treech with a bitter look, "Let's talk about something else. How's your cat?"

Vera's shoulders relaxed as she let out a laugh for the first time today, forcing a smile on Treech's face.

"He's good. He's been getting out lately though. Trying to roam the streets," Vera answered, blinking any tears out of her eyes.

"He's an explorer," Treech replied with a chuckle.

"Kind of hard to do in a busy city though," said Vera, "I get scared I won't be able to find him every time."

"That's true, I guess. Hopefully, he stops getting out then," said Treech with a lasting smile.

"You know, this is like the fifth time you've consoled me. I really need to start helping you more," said Vera as the two finished laughing.

"You already do," admitted Treech, "I told you, every time I'm with you, I forget all about these games. That's more than enough for me."

"Treech-" 

But of course, Vera never finished her sentence.

"Alright mentors, it's time to go," said one of the Peacekeepers, interrupting her. Vera sent Treech a sad smile before getting up.

"I guess this is goodbye then," Treech mumbled, the smile on his face now replaced by sadness.

"Of course not," mumbled Vera, "I'll see you tonight."

And with that, Vera felt herself being escorted away by Pup, who put an arm around her in support. 

"Seems like you're not the only one attached to your tribute," Pup mumbled, pointing toward Coryo, who had reached across the table and kissed Lucy Gray goodbye in front of everyone. Vera's eyes flickered back to Treech for a moment before she forced herself to turn back toward Coryo, who had leaned in for a second kiss.