XXX

The dining hall was adorned with exquisite decorations, but the atmosphere within was far from celebratory. Maekar sat at the head of the long table, his stern gaze fixed ahead. To his left, his daughter Visenya sat nervously, her eyes darting around the room, unsure of where to look.

On Visenya's left, her two brothers, Baelon and Aegon, with Evelyn beside Baelon. They all sat with somber expressions. They avoided each other's gaze, as if an invisible barrier separated them. Next to them, their mother, Alicent, fidgeted with her silverware, her eyes downcast, and next to her was Ser Otto.

To Maekar's right sat two familiar faces, Lucerys and Jacaerys, his nephews, between them their newly betrothed, Baela and Rhaena. They exchanged uneasy glances, their discomfort evident. Daemon sat beside them, his eyes lost in his wine glass. And finally, Rhaenyra sat at the end of the table, her demeanor guarded and distant.

The tension in the room was palpable, suffocating every breath. No one dared to make eye contact, as if doing so would expose their vulnerabilities. Rhaenyra and Daemon, burdened by their guilt, sought solace in their cups of wine, their hands trembling as they lifted them to their lips.

The silence was broken only by the distant sound of footsteps approaching. The family collectively held their breath, their eyes turning towards the entrance of the dining hall.

As they waited for the King's arrival, the weight of their estrangement loomed over the room. Years of bitterness and resentment had torn them apart, their bond shattered like a fragile glass. The fight at Driftmark had left scars both physical and emotional, especially for Moira, who had lost her eye in the tragic incident.

But now, a new layer of estrangement had been unveiled. The discovery of Rhaenyra's true intentions, her manipulative schemes to replace Maekar as the heir to the Iron Throne. This revelation had deepened the chasm between them, making the dinner scene even more awkward and strained.

As the footsteps got closer, the family members shifted uncomfortably in their seats, their eyes briefly meeting before quickly averting. The stage was set for a dinner filled with unease, secrets, and the remnants of a shattered family.

Visenya leaned in closer to her father, her voice barely a whisper. "Do you think grandfather knows about Aunt Rhaenyra's true intentions? About what she's been plotting?"

Maekar's gaze flickered towards Rhaenyra for a brief moment before he replied, his words laced with caution. "I cannot say for certain, my dear, he's not been himself."

Baelon, unable to contain his curiosity, leaned towards his father, Maekar, his voice barely above a whisper like his sisters. "Father, what will happen if he finds out? If he learns the extent of Rhaenyra's betrayal?"

Maekar's stern expression softened slightly. "We will deal with it, Baelon. We will ensure that justice is served, but for now, we must stay composed and focus on tonight's dinner."

Aegon, seated between his twin and his mother, glanced between them before speaking up, his voice tinged with bitterness. "It's hard to believe that we were once a somewhat united family. How did it come to this?"

Alicent's eyes welled up with unshed tears as she replied, her voice quivering. "I don't know, Aegon."

Meanwhile, across the table, Lucerys and Jacaerys exchanged worried glances. Lucerys, unable to contain his anxiety, leaned towards his uncle Daemon, his voice barely audible. "Uncle, do you think there's any hope for reconciliation? Can our family ever be whole again?"

Daemon's eyes, filled with nothing, met Lucerys' gaze. "I wish I had an answer for you, nephew. But healing wounds that run deep takes time, forgiveness, and a willingness to set aside pride."