Chapter 50: Torn in Between

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry, Mom. I am hurting you too."

She shook her head and caressed my face. "Don't be sorry, anak. It is normal for me as your mom to feel this way. You are my only son. Of course I can feel what you feel. I know you are hurting more than me. Your situation is harder, but you remain strong. I can see all your effort for your Dad, your wife, and your family. I am proud of you, Nick. You always make me so proud. Remember that."

All I could do was to hug her tightly. Her comforting words meant so much to me right now. I knew I hurt her too because of what I did to Dad, but she continued to be as a loving mother to me in-spite of the troubles I caused to our family. I was so blessed to have her as my mom.

She hugged me back and patted my back. After a minute, she let go and said, "Your Dad is waiting. Should we go inside?"

I nodded my head then we both went in the room. I slowly walked towards my dad's bed while Mom was following me behind. I stopped beside the bed. Dad turned his gaze to me when he noticed my presence.

"Dad," I started. My voice was apologetic.

His face was stern as he looked at me. "Why are you still here?"

I was taken aback and confused.

"Dad?" I queried. I was confused by what he meant. Did he not want me here?

"Your wife has been missing, and you are still here? What if something happens to her or to my grandchild? Go home and find your family."

I didn't expect that was what he meant. I was surprised. He wanted me to prioritize finding my wife than being here with him.

"I stayed because I wanted to be here with you, Dad. I am the reason why you are here in the hospital. I want to make sure that I am present if something bad happens. Otherwise, I won't be at peace being away, knowing you—"

"So what if something happens to me?" he interrupted. "I am old. I have lived many years. I already accepted that I can die anytime. But you, you just started your life with your wife. You have many years to look forward to with her. Her safety must be your priority, especially that she is carrying your child. You can't lose them, Nicko."

"I know, Dad. I really want to go home and find her. But I also love you, Dad. I want to be with you in the last days of your life. It is so difficult to make a decision if both of my loved ones are on the line," I spoke sadly.

He looked at me intently. "I just gave you a consent to prioritize her. Hopefully, that will make it easier for you to decide. Don't disappoint me again, Nicko. Go home."

I turned to my Mom. She was teary eyed. From looking at my Dad, she turned to meet my gaze. She gave me an encouraging nod and smile. "Your dad is right, Nick. You should go home. Kate has been missing for three months. I hope nothing bad happened to her. God forbid. You have to find her as soon as possible. Don't worry, I am here to take care of your dad. I will keep updating you of his progress."

Mom and Dad both wanted the same thing. They both wanted me to go back home to find my family. For some reason, after hearing them said those things, it lifted off some weight on my shoulders. The burden became less heavy because I didn't have to choose between Dad and Kate.

I nodded at my Mom then I faced my Dad. "I hired people to find Kate before I left. They are still searching and haven't found her yet. Actually, another reason why I came here in Italy is to ask you to—"

"I will take care of it. All it takes is one call for them to send their best investigators to the Philippines to find my daughter in law. I will ask them to coordinate with you when they get there. So, go home sooner. Your Mom and I will fly back as soon as the doctor gives me the green light."

Tears started building in my eyes. I was so touched and at the same time, was overwhelmed with the kind of love and thoughtfulness that Dad kept showing me in-spite of my mistakes.

"T-thank you, Dad. Thank you," I sobbed. I didn't think twice and hugged him. I was grateful beyond words. Tears flowed down my face when Dad hugged me back. "I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, my son." He tapped my back and after a few minutes he said, "You have to go now or I will ask your mom to drag you out." His tone was serious, but I knew it was Dad's way of showing his humor in this serious situation.

I followed what they said. I hugged them both goodbye before I left. I called my secretary, Sofia, to ready the plane and the stuff I needed to bring. I asked her to meet me in the plane because I had to give her instructions and some things to take note.

I drove to the private airport, and I saw Sofia waiting for me. She opened the car's door and greeted me. I started giving her instructions as we walked to the plane.

"Copy, Mr. Ferragni. Anything else, Sir?"

I handed her my car keys. "Please return my car to the garage."

"Sure, Mr. Ferragni."

I nodded and said, "Thank you. I got it from here, Sofia. Take care of the business. I won't be back here for awhile."

"Of course, Sir. I will make sure that the company will remain in good shape."

"Thank you, Sofia, for everything."

She was a very reliable and trustworthy employee. I could trust her with anything.

"It is an honor serving a Ferragni," she smiled. "Don't worry about coming back here sooner, Mr. Ferragni. Just focus on becoming a good husband and dad."

I wasn't surprised that she knew. Dad probably told her. And that also meant that Dad warned her not to disclose some things to me that would make me come back sooner. He wanted me to focus on my growing family.

I smiled at her and went inside the plane. It would be a long flight, knowing I was already in a hurry to get home.

A day after I arrived in the Philippines, I met dad's hired investigators. They were so quick to come. They began their search in collaboration with my hired people here in the country. With their combined experience, skills and knowledge, hopefully, they could find my wife sooner.

Three days after they started searching, I got a call. I was in the shower, but I stopped whatever I was doing to answer it. I didn't want to miss any calls these days that's why I would always carry my phone with me wherever I went.

"Mr. Ferragni."

"Yes? Did you find anything new?" They updated me yesterday that they found some traces of where my wife went, and they dug deeper into those information.

"There's this old lady, who was a vendor in the market. People told me they saw your wife with her. I showed them your wife's picture. Therefore, we have been following this old lady, even to her home. She lives an hour and fifteen minutes away from the main town."

I frowned. "So, did you find my wife?" That's what I wanted to know.

"Yes. We saw her in the old lady's house."

My heart went wild. My face turned pale. They found her! They found my wife!

"Send me the address. I am going there right now," I said while putting my clothes on. I didn't want to waste time.

"Message sent, Mr. Ferragni."

"Thank you. Wait for me in there."

I ended the call and without combing my hair, I left the house with only my phone and wallet with me.

I drove as quickly as I could. They could charge me over-speeding fees for all I care. I was so eager to see my wife. That's all I wanted right now.

Just by thinking about seeing her again already made me jump in joy and excitement. I wanted to hug her and kiss her as soon as I saw her. She might like that or not, but she had no choice but to deal with it. I missed her so much.

Once I finally saw her, I promised myself that I would never ever let her go again.

Miss Kae @KaeJune
2 January 2024 (revised)