XXVIII

In the dimly lit room of Rhaenyra and Daemon, tension hung heavy in the air. The news of Maekar's return to the capital had reached them, setting their minds ablaze with paranoia and uncertainty. They paced back and forth, their thoughts racing as they tried to make sense of the situation.

Rhaenyra's voice trembled with a mixture of fear and frustration. "Why would Maekar suddenly return? Does he know everything? Is he here to expose our plans?" Her mind was flooded with wild theories, each one more terrifying than the last.

Daemon, equally agitated, added fuel to the fire. "Perhaps he has discovered our true intentions," he suggested, his voice filled with a mixture of suspicion and desperation. "Maybe he has uncovered the extent of our manipulation and is here to confront us."

As they spiraled into a frenzy of accusations and doubts, their focus shifted from the external threats to each other. Rhaenyra's eyes narrowed as she fixed her gaze on Daemon. "Could it be that you have betrayed me?" she accused, her voice laced with a mix of anger and suspicion. "Have you shared our plans with Maekar, hoping to save yourself at my expense?"

Daemon's face contorted with disbelief. "How dare you accuse me?" he shot back, his voice rising with indignation. "I have been loyal to you from the beginning. It is you who has been reckless and careless in your pursuit of power."

Realising their accusations were driving them further apart, Rhaenyra and Daemon paused for a moment, their eyes meeting in a shared realisation. It wasn't each other they should be blaming—it was someone closer to Maekar, someone they had wearily trusted implicitly to look sane and upstanding.

As the truth began to dawn on them, Rhaenyra's voice quivered with a mix of shock and betrayal. "It must be one of the council members," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "Someone who has been working against us in secret, feeding information to Maekar."

Daemon's eyes widened, his face pale with the weight of the revelation. "And who among the council has had the most access to our plans?" he asked, his voice filled with a mix of anger and realisation.

Rhaenyra's voice trembled as she spoke the name that had suddenly come to the forefront of her mind. "Otto," she said, her tone heavy with a mix of grief and anger. "It must be Ser Otto. He has been close to Maekar for years, he's Alicent's father, and he has always held a grudge against you and our family."

Daemon nodded, his expression hardened with determination. "We must confront him," he declared, his voice firm. "We cannot allow his treachery to go unpunished. He has betrayed us and jeopardised everything we have worked for."

As the weight of their realisation settled upon them, Daemon understood the delicate nature of their situation. However, convincing Rhaenyra to exercise caution and restraint would prove to be a far more challenging task. The Targaryen madness, known to afflict some members of their family, had taken hold of Rhaenyra, making her impulsive and prone to rash decisions.

Daemon approached Rhaenyra cautiously, knowing that his words needed to be persuasive and compelling. "We must be careful with Otto," he began, his voice measured and deliberate. "Taking his head for treason now will only draw unwanted attention and suspicion. Maekar's spies are still lurking in the shadows, waiting for any sign of weakness."

Rhaenyra's eyes blazed with a mix of defiance and anger. "I will not be dictated by fear or the whispers of spies," she declared, her voice filled with conviction. "We must strike swiftly and decisively. Otto's treason cannot go unpunished."

Daemon sighed, realising the extent of the challenge he faced. He knew that reasoning with Rhaenyra in her current state would be an uphill battle. He needed to find a way to appeal to her sense of duty and responsibility without triggering her volatile nature.