Chapter 2: A Helping Hand

Ling sat on a woven mat in Li Chen's simple home, sipping ginger tea as the scholar regarded her thoughtfully.
"I have never heard of such magic as yours," he said finally. "But from your description of modern clothing and speech, it seems you are from a time far beyond my own. Tell me more of where - and when - you come from."

Ling explained about 21st century Beijing in detail - the towering skyscrapers, bustling streets filled with cars and smartphones. Li Chen listened with rapt attention, eyes wide. "Such wonders! I can scarcely imagine a world so advanced. But it raises many questions. How did you come to be here, in this era? And what purpose might your gift serve?"

Sighing, Ling shook her head. "I wish I knew. The last thing I remember is walking home from university, and then I awoke in the forest. As for my power, so far it only seems to cause trouble! I'm afraid of accidentally transforming something important." She held up her golden finger ruefully.

Li Chen nodded thoughtfully. "Understandable concerns. But see this not as a curse - your ability could be used to help people, if honed and directed properly. I believe it was no accident you came to my village. You are meant to find purpose and acceptance here."

His optimism lifted Ling's spirits. "You really think so? But where should I even start?"

"With control. Come, we shall practice in the fields." He led her outside. "Focus your mind and will the magic to activate at your command. Touch the grass."

Ling did so but nothing happened. "It's not working!"

Li Chen smiled patiently. "Calm yourself. Breathe deep and still your thoughts. Magic flows from within, not without. Try again."

Closing her eyes, Ling took slow breaths to quiet her racing mind. When she felt centered, she opened her eyes and willed a spark of power to her finger. It glowed faintly and the grass blade turned to gold. Her eyes widened in delight. "I did it!"

"Well done!" Li Chen applauded. "Now try changing it back. Visualize the magic reversing its effects."

Ling concentrated, and the gold reverted to green. She beamed at Li Chen. "This is incredible. With your help, maybe I can truly harness it."

"You have remarkable gifts. Now let us see how finely you can control them."

They spent the afternoon practicing - Ling transforming blades of grass or pebbles into gold, then back again. Each success built her confidence until she could activate her power at will, for mere seconds or as long as she focused. The sun hung low as they walked back to the village, Ling's mind buzzing with possibilities for her magic.

That evening, Ling helped Li Chen's mother prepare dinner over the cooking fire. The scholar's family welcomed her with open arms, sensing she had brought fortune to their home. Over steaming rice and vegetables, Ling told them of modern conveniences like stoves and refrigerators that seemed like magic to the villagers.

In turn, Li Chen spoke of the political turmoil gripping their land - a corrupt Minister ruling the Emperor as a puppet, oppressing citizens with high taxes and conscription. Discontent was growing amongst the people. "There are even whispers of rebellion being planned in the capital," Li Chen said grimly.

Ling felt a spark of inspiration. "Then perhaps my magic could help. If I learned to transform objects on a larger scale, like weapons or supplies, it might give rebels an edge."

Li Chen looked uneasy. "A worthy goal, but such matters are dangerous. For now, focus on control - the rest will follow in time."

That night, Ling lay awake in the guest quarters, thinking of all she had learned. Her gift was more blessing than curse if used to aid the downtrodden. And in these people who had so readily accepted a stranger, she felt she may have found the home and purpose that had eluded her since arriving. Resolved to help however she could, Ling drifted to sleep with a smile, dreaming of the days to come.