Chapter 9: Dancing

En başından başla

Meanwhile, Mabel took a break to get the memory gun and work the dial; OUR PARENTS. Then aimed it at her eye, "Mom, Dad, this is for you." and pulled the trigger. She felt a shockwave go through her head, like being caught in a tidal wave of hot water. Then she had a vision, clear as day, of being in a cradle with two smiling faces looking down at her. She could feel her brother, a baby like she was, laying right beside her. She could smell the soap used to clean their blankets. Best of all, she could hear her Mother singing a lullaby, while her father hummed and harmonized with her.

  The vision was only thirty seconds, but it felt like an hour went by until it ended. When it did, she touched her cheeks, and felt hot tears running down her face. She sat like that for a while, in a light-headed stupor.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The servants spent the whole day cleaning the ballroom. The chandeliers shone brightly onto the polished wood floor. The windows were so clean they looked like they were open. A long table had been placed in between the pillars, with a splendid kosher feast set out on it.

Stan sat in his tub, having the most luxuriant bath he'd had in years. "Can't believe I'm doing this. I just can't say no to those two."

"Well," said Soos, "They ARE trying to help break the curse. And to be fair they don't ask for that much."

"Yeah, yeah, they're great kids I get it." He dunked his head underwater to rinse. "And I'll be honest, it's been nice having them around. Almost makes this place feel alive again. I bet if I'd known folks like them sooner..." He stared at the door, behind which Ford sat waiting for him. "Yes?" asked Soos hopping closer.

"Ah, nevermind. Hand me my towel would'ya?" He got up and shook himself.

While he was dressing, Mabel came in to help him spruce up. He even let her braid parts of his mane.

  "So," she raised her eyebrows, "Given any thought to potential love interests?"

  He shrugged. "Well, there're some tree spirits we're pretty friendly with. And mermaids that swim upriver every Spring." She leaned close to his cheek and gave him a side-eye.

  "Next time I see one, I'll ask her out." he sighed. Mabel did a fist pump. "Yes!"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

For the ball, Dipper put on a blue and gold embroidered tailcoat. He shifted in his polished boots as he waited for his sister to finish dressing. She came out wearing a sumptuous pink velvet dress with ruffled skirts a shooting star design. Her hair was topped with an elaborate filigree tiara and she wore kid-skin gloves. She pinned a tree-shaped brooch to his cravat. "Very handsome." she said.

  Dipper blushed. I'm just glad all their old clothes fit me."

"Actually, the girls and I made this for you ourselves."

"Really?"

"Yep. Happy Hanukah!" she glomped her arms around him.

  They met Stan waiting for them at the stairway. Wearing trousers and a maroon tailcoat that matched Dippers' he actually looked really good. He even had his little fish-clasp pinned to his lapel.

"Why do you like that so much anyway?" Dipper asked him.

"It's the symbol of a fishing village way off on the east coast. One of the trips Ford and I thought about was to buy a boat and go sailing from there."

"Nifty." they said together.

  The white instruments started playing, and everyone started dancing. They did the polka and the ha-cha and sang off-key to several old songs. Then they sat down to eat.