XXI

The death of Lady Laena Velaryon had came a great shock to the realm, who died during childbirth to her third child. Laena had married Daemon shortly after the wedding of her brother to Rhaenyra, and gave birth to twin girls, Baela and Rhaena before they left for Pentos.

Maekar, Alicent and their children set sail for Driftmark, later to be joined by King Viserys, Rhaenyra and her children. As soon as they arrived the family offered their condolences to Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys, and then Baela and Rhaena, before coming face to face with Daemon for the first time in years.

"You look well, nephew," Daemon smiled slightly at Maekar. "I did say family life suits you. Moira and Rhaegar have gotten so big. And who's this little devil?" He referred to Visenya, who sat on her father's hip.

"This is Visenya, she's four," Maekar grinned proudly. Visenya had followed Maekar and Aegon for her looks. Silvery Targaryen coloured hair and violet eyes.

Visenya, being a shy and introverted child around new people, felt nervous and overwhelmed by the presence of her great-uncle. As Daemon directed his attention towards her, she instinctively hid her face in her father's shoulder, peeking out only slightly to observe the unfamiliar figure before her. Her tiny hands tightly gripped onto her father's clothing, seeking comfort and reassurance.

Maekar, understanding his daughter's shyness, gently stroked her back to soothe her nerves. "It's alright, my sweet Visenya," he whispered softly. "Uncle Daemon is family, just like us. There's nothing to be afraid of."

Visenya timidly glanced up at her father, her violet eyes reflecting a mix of uncertainty and curiosity. With a small nod, she summoned the courage to look back at Daemon, though her gaze remained cautious and reserved. Her lips curled into a shy smile, but she quickly averted her eyes, feeling self-conscious under the scrutiny of the room.

Daemon, recognising Visenya's shyness, decided to take a step back, giving her the space she needed to feel more comfortable. He spoke in a gentle tone, "It's wonderful to finally meet you, Visenya. I can see why your father is so proud of you. You have the Targaryen beauty in you."

Visenya's cheeks turned a faint shade of pink, a mixture of bashfulness and appreciation. She clung tighter to her father, finding solace in his presence. However, the compliment from Daemon did manage to bring a small sparkle to her eyes, a sign that his words had touched her in some way.

As the conversation continued, Visenya gradually began to relax, observing the interactions between her family members and taking in the new surroundings. Although still reserved, she started to show glimpses of her true nature, occasionally whispering a few words to her father or shyly smiling at her siblings.

It wasn't long later that the funeral for Lady Laena began, and the Targaryen family and other noble families alike gathered on the coast of Driftmark as the stone coffin carrying Laena sat on a platform above them with ropes attached to pull the coffin into the sea. Maekar stood next to Alicent, holding Visenya with his free hand placed on Rhaegar's shoulder. Alicent gently held Aegon and Baelon and Moira stood between them, holding Baelon's hand. Princess Aliandra opted to attend the funeral out of respect for the realm.

"We join today at the Salt of the Sea," Ser Vaemomd began the ceremony in High Valyrian as knights worked on attaching the ropes to the coffin. "To commit the Lady Laena of House Velaryon to the eternal waters, the dominion of the Merling King, where he will guard her for all the days to come," Maekar looked across the way to Lord Corlys, then to Rhaenys who held one of her granddaughters close. "As she sets to sea on her final voyage, the Lady Laena leaves two true-born daughters on the shore, though their mother will not return from her voyage, they will remain bound together in blood."