Marlene and James separately seemed to be always be dancing away from the group, and Mary and Lily seemed particularly tense together.

It seemed that a bridge was dammed to brake anytime now.

-

"Aww, my wee fox, all sunken eyed." Sirius said, smushing Ana's cheeks together.

"Igouhpuussseeplsnght,"   

Sirius dropped his hands, pulling back. "What?"

The blonde massaged her now sore rosy face. Glaringly, she repeated. "I got piss sleep last night."

"Piss sleep." Mary scoffs. "You were crying in your dream all night."

Ana pinched Mary under the table, as if a warning, cowering back as Remus started more obviously scanning her face.

"Are you ok-" Remus started his whisper, cut off by the sweating Mr. Gatwick.

"H-Hello class. Good t-to see all the Gryffindor, as- as well Ravenclaw faces."

Mr. Gatwick paused as this was as far as he got to practice in the mirror this morning. "S-so... okay. Al-alright today since we've finished t-the heavy subject of t-the cruciatus c-urse, I th-thought we could do m-more of a history lesson."

He straightened the lapels of his suit, moving to the green chalk board covered by a dated roller map. "It was b-brought to my attention that- that th-this topic was neglected to be.. taught to you for-fourth year. I-I fi-find it topic of o-one of the most interesting de-bates, leaning into the magical cr-creatures sub-ject, which we don-talk about often. So- I yes."

He pulled the string on the screen map. It rolled up with a snap, revealing the green chalkboard. A text book image of an anatomy was hung on, and chalked above the name of the creature.

"W-Werewolves."

Gatwick blinked back a jump as his student, Anastasia, pushed out of her chair with a loud screech, storming out of the room without so much as an excuse, or at least her belongings.

It was a little silly to her running out of that room at the mention of them.

She hadn't really been affected by the boggart during camping, even hours after.

She didn't care about it. It wasn't real. She'd only cried because of the initial fear, rational tears, then grieving ones- from the scene of the Welsh mountains. How much they made her want her father, crave that infant hold, that lovely consoling.  

The dream haunting month holding years of experience worth reminders to how she ignored her life she had with them.

The minor class lesson was just glass broken, potential energy turned torn shreds to her quality of perpetually ignoring of the past.   

Dwelling on the past seemed a negative to Ana. But she had never stopped to consider comforting it. 

Why did Anastasia, the girl making everyone around her live presently, have to lock her passed away, make it a prisoner of solitary confinement?  

The few words she had shared about that life before in the past 6 years had all happened with the company of Remus.

Though only the good parts, which was all of it till the end. Little mentions to him of his room, their favorite books, the lake, feeling fair enough to tell him someday of importance- like her father's birthday. He had been the only person ever to hear her admit that her parents were dead, gone.  

Ana didn't understand why. Remus was the only person constant in her life that was there in the sound of their childhood, witness to when everything was easy.  

And everything was easy with Remus. To Ana, everything felt easy, decorated in ribbons and the ardency of prancing around him. It was all easy, even when it wasn't. He made it easy even when he'd avoided her. Making it so painstakingly easy to be clement even in his presence as he ignored hers. 

Anastasia was good at acceptance she'd accepted when Remus didn't want to be her friend for 5 years. She'd accepted things even when she didn't agree with them. She'd accepted her life and the limitations of it.  And she'd accepted her parents' death.  

But what Ana didn't understand was that there was no accepting in what happened to her.

There wasn't an ounce of fairness or clarity, there were only going to be moments like this that left you peeking guilt and frustration living with it as part of you and brief moments of pacifistic forgetting that it ever even happened.  

Remus did not like acceptance. No, he loathed it....

Authors Notes:

Hi!!! I am back.
YAAY. The break is over.
I think the biggest thing keeping me from writing this chapter was how heavy it is. I really needed this holiday break.

Hope everyone had good holidays and praying 2024 will be a better year

I have been writing a new story. Some of my followers have seen it.

ITS JAMES'S

but go check out the into and the description to see if you might like it add it to your library/reading list. the first part is being posted January fifth.

Date Posted: December 28th, 2023