XVI

Maekar entered the room where his wife, Alicent, was engrossed in a book. He noticed the furrowed brow on her face, indicating deep thought. With a heavy sigh, he approached her, his expression a mix of weariness and indifference.

"Alicent," he said, his voice void of emotion. "I have some news to share with you."

Alicent looked up from her book, her eyes meeting Maekar's. She sensed the seriousness in his tone and put her book down, giving him her full attention. "What is it, Maekar? What has happened?"

"Lady Rhea Royce is dead," Maekar said bluntly. "She met with a tragic accident during a hunting trip."

Alicent's eyes widened in surprise, but there was no trace of sadness in her expression. Lady Rhea had never been a close confidante or friend, and her passing did not elicit any deep emotions from Alicent. Instead, she felt a sense of detachment, as if the news was merely a distant occurrence.

"How dreadful," Alicent responded, her voice devoid of sorrow. "A hunting accident, you say?"

"Yes," Maekar confirmed. "Her horse flung her off, and she suffered a fatal injury to her head and spine."

Alicent nodded, her mind already moving on to other matters. Lady Rhea's death held little significance for her or their lives. She was merely an acquaintance, someone they encountered at court functions and formal gatherings.

Maekar shared her thoughts, his gaze drifting away as his thoughts wandered elsewhere. Lady Rhea's death was a tragic event, but it held no personal impact on their them. They were entwined in the affairs of the kingdom, focused on their responsibilities and duties.

Neither Maekar nor Alicent would mourn Lady Rhea Royce's passing. They had no reason to. Their connection with her was distant, and the news of her demise was merely a fleeting moment in the grand tapestry of their lives. They would carry on, unaffected by the loss of someone they barely knew.

"I have taken the liberty of summoning Ser Criston," Alicent informed Maekar, the death of Lady Rhea already escaping her mind as she watched Maekar pick Moira and Rhaegar up from the sofa by the fireplace, both babies babbling away happily.

"And why is that, my love?" Maekar questioned, placing a kiss on Moira's and Rhaegar's cheeks, causing them to giggle as their father's beard tickled them.

Alicent smiled at the sight, continuing on as she placed her book down, "one of your little dragons have informed me that he broke his vows, he was the one that sullied Rhaenyra, not Daemon, you was right to give her the tea."

"So what now?" Maekar asked. "We make him squirm and then take his head?"

"No, I think we can find some use for him," Alicent smirked up at her husband.

"Ser Criston, Your Grace," said Alicent's handmaiden, bowing to them.

"That will be all," Alicent told the two wetnurses as Maekar handed them Moira and Rhaegar, giving his two kids a small wave.

Ser Criston walked in, bowing his head to the future King and Queen Consort.

"I fear my husband and I must question you on a, on a delicate matter, Ser Criston," Alicent said, her hands folded in front of her.

"I am your servant as always, my Prince, my Princess," Ser Criston bowed his head.

"It concerns our dear Princess Rhaenyra," said Alicent, looking at her hands. "Please," she motioned to chair in front of where she sat. Maekar sat beside her on one of the chairs.

Ser Criston bowed to both of them, pulling his sword out from it's scabbard and leaning it against the table before he sat

"You are her sworn protector and rightly loyal to her."