𝟮𝟱. both worlds are deceptive

Mulai dari awal

     Josephine touched his head, slightly fisting his cropped hair in her hands. She pursed her lips half-heartedly. "We need this, Brian."

     "I know, baby," Brian muttered, slowly letting her go, which made her face him. Her back touched the old Skyline as she slightly leaned on it. His blue eyes seek hers in the dim light of the narrow pathway. "Are you okay?"

     Josephine bit her lips, realizing he had noticed her everchanging mood and how sluggish she seemed most of the time. It wasn't only because they weren't getting enough sleep or food to eat. Besides, it was stupid of her to even think that Brian wouldn't notice. This man practically sees through her like she's transparent. Not all of the time though. Josephine still kept a good ounce of herself to hers only.

     "I'm okay," Josephine murmured, putting on a faint smile that didn't quite assure him. She touched his neck and sent him a nod that he mimicked before she opened the car door. "Let's get this job done."

     It didn't look as easy as they made it out to be. Vince had filled them up on the plan, which included the two of them boarding the train where the said cars would be and how the hijack was going to happen. Brian and Josephine needed to get to that part of the carriage first to notify the other guys outside the train where they would be cutting into. It was supposed to be easy. At least at first.

     Brian's eyes fell on Josephine, averting his attention from the deserted scenery of the countryside of Brazil that the train passes by on the windows, and immediately smiling upon the sight of her. The younger woman was reading a travel book she held with both hands, completely unaware of her partner admiring her from across the train booth. He appreciated the way natural light made her face glow beautifully for a minute and he almost didn't want to disturb her.

     He leaned forward, putting his elbows on the table that separated them. "What are you reading?"

     "Travel guide," Josephine mumbled, not tearing her gaze off the magazine.

     "Yeah?" There was a slight amusement in his expression that she soon reciprocated when he slowly turned the magazine down to see what she was looking at. Josephine hummed in response, watching him closely as he grabbed the travel guide. He flipped through it, reciting every place the magazine showed. "Tokyo. Moscow. Goa."

    Josephine smirked, lowering the brochure down with a finger so he could look at her. "You wanna know what all of these places have in common?"

    Brian raised his brows, intrigued. "Huh?" 

     "No extradition," Josephine whispered.

     The pragmatic way she said it, with a mix of hope and determination, stirred his pride in her. A survivor she was. Brian grinned at her, the corner of his eyes crinkling in delight before he leaned in to put a tender kiss on her lips across the table. Her eyes fluttered close, subconsciously smiling through the moment even after they broke it off. The way they looked at each other said enough. Like they would run through crumbling bridges just for each other a thousand times.

     The sound of the sliding door opening from the end of the carriage made Josephine perked up from her position, her demeanor shifting to all business. Her eyes subtly raised to look at a train conductor walking into the narrow path to begin collecting tickets. She glanced at Brian, the man sending her an assuring nod as she said quietly with a small smirk: "Here we go."

     So Josephine did what she did best. She led Brian, the former agent close behind her as she walked with purpose and a certain pace. Not even an ounce of nervousness crept through her. In fact, the thrill of the mission made her more determined. Little did she know, Brian had just noticed three hard-eyed federal agents with their badges glinting in the sunlight in a booth together. His jaw clenched, immediately realizing something was wrong.