Chapter 2: A Grave Encounter

En başından başla

Bob Cratchit: *whisper* Okay, well... you can stay here for now, but please, don't go wandering off without telling your mother, okay?

Tiny Tim: *nods* I won't, father. I promise.

Nodding back, Bob scooped his son up into his arms, crutch and all, and backed himself through the doorway, closing it once inside. Turning around, Bob nearly had a heart attack upon coming face to face with Mister Scrooge who looked particularly miffed.

Ebenezer Scrooge: What is the meaning of this?! I didn't hire you to bring in random beggars from the street, Cratchit!

Shaking his head rapidly, Bob put up a hand to stop his boss.

Bob Cratchit: N-No, you're mistaken, sir! This isn't a beggar! This is my son Tim!

That answer made Scrooge's eyes widen and his hostility damped.

Ebenezer Scrooge: Oh... I see. I wasn't aware that you even had a family.

Bob Cratchit: W-Well... you never really asked, sir.

A sneer was shot at him from Scrooge for the retort before the grumpy owner rolled his eyes and sighed, moving his gaze to Tim for a moment. The boy simply smiled back before Scrooge hummed to himself, turning around and heading back to his desk.

Ebenezer Scrooge: He's awfully tiny, that one.

He said, referring to Tim while Bob smiled for a second, looking at his son.

Bob Cratchit: Yes, indeed. He's our Tiny Tim.

Ebenezer Scrooge: I suppose this means that you'll be wanting the day off tomorrow then?

He asked so suddenly, making Bob's eyes shoot open in surprise.

Bob Cratchit: H-How did-

Ebenezer Scrooge: Intuition, that's what.

Staring and blinking for a second, Bob snapped out of it and set his son back down and told him to wait before going over to Scrooge.

Bob Cratchit: I-I only ask if it's convenient for you, sir.

As expected, Scrooge snarled under his breath and sat down in his chair, glaring up at Bob.

Ebenezer Scrooge: Convenient? Of course it's not convenient! You're asking to not work on what should be the busiest day of the year aside from this one. Tell me, does it sound fair to me for you to do so? Did it ever cross your mind as to how it'll affect my business?

Bob Cratchit: Oh please, sir! It's just for one day and I promise I'll come in for the next after that!

He begged, earning yet another scoff from Scrooge.

Ebenezer Scrooge: Sounds less like a real promise and more like an excuse to rattle my pocket for more coins.

Bob Cratchit: Please, sir! You know I don't ask for much except for when it comes to times like this! I only wish to spend Christmas with my family just for tomorrow!

He pleaded, looking more desperate by the second. With that being very much obvious, Scrooge had to take a moment to think it over in his head. After he was done, he sighed and crossed his arms.

Ebenezer Scrooge: Fine... I guess I can give you the day off tomorrow. BUT... I expect you to be here an hour earlier the very next day to make up for it! Is that understood?

To say that Bob was elated would have been the understatement of the year as he smiled widely and threw a fist in the air.

Bob Cratchit: Yes! Yes! Thank you, Mister Scrooge! I promise, I'll be here first thing the day after tomorrow!