𝟮𝟮. anger is like drinking poison

Start from the beginning

     Josephine saw that Dominic contemplated killing him. Brian did, too, but he turned his head away. He had a duty of his own. To take in Braga and put him behind bars. But he wasn't going to stop his friend from doing what he wanted to do Braga either. His respect for the older Toretto was higher than any law in the world. 

     "You're right." Dominic stood down but he kept his aim at Braga. "And that's why you're going back across the border."

     There was a moment of surprise that came to Brian at Dominic's decision. Even Josephine was surprised. But I suppose no matter how much they wanted to end his life, their moral compass would always claw their way out. Josephine stepped back, letting Brian walk forward to apprehend the man. He took out handcuffs and put them around Braga's wrists as the latter faced the barrel of the Torettos firearms.

     Braga could see the resemblance. The same fire in their dark eyes. At this moment, Braga realized the lengths they would go to for each other, and nothing was more dangerous than that.

     "But Fenix is ours." Dominic looked at Brian with a certain firmness in his tone. 

     Josephine glanced at her brother, almost surprised that he included her this time. Maybe he finally understood why she had to do this, too. It was for the sake of her peace, her messy mind that constantly sought an answer to the lives that were lost. If this was the only way to calm down the storm in her head, Dominic was going to help her with that as best as he could. His sister, his responsibility.

     "You got it." Brian nodded, knowing there was no room for discussion.

     Josephine and Dominic convoyed Brian in their respective vehicles as they drove away from the church. The FBI agent had Arturo Braga in his car, left with the responsibility of making sure he stayed this way until they got him out of Mexico. Josephine drove out front, Brian in the middle, and Dominic at the back in his Charger. They broke through traffic in the small streets, ignoring the angry beeping from civilians in their cars.

     People were shouting apprehensions from the sidewalk as the three speeding cars broke through them. It wasn't very laying low for them but it was hard in this environment to lay low. Everybody could notice how out of place they looked and it didn't help that Braga had connections everywhere. It was only a matter of time before his men caught up to them and that would end in another challenging car chase.

     Finally, they got out of the city and turned to the desert part of the road where they would make their exit out of Mexico. Josephine led upfront with a tight grimace, her grip comfortable on the steering wheel but there was a sense of cautiousness and urgency at every turn. There was no way they were making it out of this without trouble. Her eyes flickered to the rearview mirror, seeing Brian driving behind her through the cloud of dust and sand that rose from under their wheels.

    "You know where you're going?" Braga chuckled, seemingly finding the situation humorous beside Brian. It made the FBI agent tear his gaze off the road and Josephine's car who was in front of him. "You want to borrow my GPS?"

     He swiftly turned into another corner, following Josephine closely. Brian didn't let Braga's amusement faze him. He knew he was expecting his men to come after and so did they. "Where are your boys at? Huh? Are they gonna show up or what?"

     Brian spoke too soon. As soon as he finished jeering at Braga, the sound of multiple gunshots echoed through the vicinity. Josephine who was trying to figure out a way out of the desert let out a curse word as an array of gunfire barely grazed her car. She swerved out of the way, glancing at the mirrors in her car to see if Brian and Dominic were fine. Two cars went to intercept them with blazing rifles but Josephine managed to break through before they cornered her as well as Brian.