IV

Maekar sighed heavily through his nose as he stood in the large green field where people were all gathered for the funeral of Queen Aemma and Prince Baelon's funeral. Both were wrapped in cloth on traditional Targaryen pyres. Aegar and Syrax sat on a hill at the edge of the field. Below them, Maekar stood beside his youngest sister, his hand resting on the small of her back.

"I know this is not fair, but they are waiting for you," Maekar whispered in her ear.

"You are father's heir," Rhaenyra whispered back.

"Not officially, but you are the Queen's daughter," Maekar reasoned back softly.

"I wonder if, during those few hours our brother lived, my father finally found happiness," Rhaenyra responded in High Valyrian.

"Father has always been terrible at showing his love, though he did try his best," Maekar reached down and gently took her soft hand into his own rough one. "Our father needs you more now than he ever has."

"I will never be a son," Rhaenyra's voice cracked. After a moment, Rhaenyra stepped forward, allowing Maekar to retake his place beside Visenya.

"Thank the Gods we did not have to witness our mother's funeral," Visneya whispered to Maekar, who kept his face forward.

"Dra..." Rhaenyra attempted to speak, but the word got caught in her throat. She looked behind her at Maekar, who sent her a reassuring nod. She took a look back at her father, who didn't return the look. "Dracarys," she said firmly. Syrax crawled forward and lit the funeral pyres. Aegar roared into the air as the flames began to rise.

"You were so brave, sister," said Visenya when the two of them reached Rhaenyra who was staring at the burning pyres.

"The bravest-" Maekar went to say but was cut off by one of the guards.

"Ships to the West!" He cried out, and the gathered parties rushed to the cliff edge.

"How many have you counted?" Viserys asked the guard.

"Ninety five regular ships, fifteen warships," the guard responded.

"Father, tell your men to stand down," Maekar said, staring at the all black sails.

"Why?" Viserys demanded.

"They're my men," Maekar said and rushed down to the shoreline. One lone rowing boat left the ship that leaded the pack, and Maekar was eager to meet it.

"Dothraki?" Said Otto, as he and the King approached behind Maekar. Three men got off the rowing boat, Maekar holding his arms open wide for them.

"Varro, Fakko, Azo!" He cheered, embracing his three remaining Blood Riders with a laugh.

"It cannot be," Viserys muttered in shock. "Dothraki hate the water."

"As it may, Your Grace, it seems Prince Maekar has an army of them," the same guard said, holding a telescope towards his King. Viserys snatched it from him and aimed it towards the boats, seeing more and more Dothraki screamers vomiting over the sides as his eyes carried on.

"Gods be good," Viserys muttered.

—————

Later that evening, Otto sealed a letter with a wax seal at his desk.

"Send a raven to Oldtown. Straight away," he ordered Grand Maester Mellos. Otto handed the letter to Mellos, who nodded and left as Alicent entered.

"My Lady," the Grand Maester bowed his head. He left, leaving Alicent standing in the doorway, nervously picking at the skin around her fingers.