Chapter 1: Hurghada

Start from the beginning

"What were you guys saying?" I asked immediately.

"He asked if we planned on letting his children go hungry or if we planned on paying," Josefina answered flatly, looking at me as if I was an idiot. My eyes widened a bit at hearing her voice, but more at the tone she had.

"I also asked him not to mention us being down here," Rogue added, shooting her a look of his own. I bit my lip. I'd almost forgotten that I was virtually famous now. That Jack was still out there.

I turned towards the house, taking it in. Aside from the African statues, which I was sure belonged to my mother, I saw a welcome mat in German. There was a clump of flags billowing from beside a window by the front door, all stuck near each other as if in competition. The only one not there was an American flag; Grandmother always considered Hawaii separate.

"It doesn't make a lick of sense!" she'd ranted once, tying up her long black hair. Stray strands of silver joined the mass. "We aren't even connected to the country, dammit! Not to mention they just overthrew our queen and took the place," she'd grumbled, popping open the oven. The memory of the sweet scent of pineapple and ham was still clear, the steam gently tumbling into the kitchen.

I looked back at Rogue before knocking on the large oak door without a word.

A few seconds later we heard scuffling and some shouts. I scarcely noticed the concerned shifting of Rogue behind me as footsteps pounded closer. I nervously fidgeted with the end of my floral dress with lace straps; Dad hated when I didn't present myself well.

BOOM!

What the hell?

I was lucky I had moved back slightly, seeing as I was fairly sure the door slamming open had to have left a dent somewhere (thankfully, not me). I had exactly one second to take in the sight before me:

Mom, eyes glittering brightly with tears and a wide smile across her face as she stood covered from head to toe in flower. Her long dark brown hair (mostly white, at the moment) was in its usual wild curls as she stood barefoot in the doorway, wearing capris and a t shirt. I'd known her a majority of my life, and still felt the brief surprise at her brown and blue eyes.

Dad was holding her around the waist like he was in the middle of trying to get her to calm down. His dark hair was slicked back, with only a bit of grey in it, and he had the "Beckham Smile" on, giving me a brief flashback to my friends calling him a DILF.

Nana and Papa stood behind them, aging slowly as usual. Nana's long hair still hung to her waist, with a few silver streaks through it. Papa stood beside her, arm around her shoulder, with a grin matching Mom's to a T.

This was all I had time to see before Mom had smashed into me with little wail, crying rivers as she held onto me tightly. All of her emotions were extreme.

"Hi, Mom-!" I managed to choke out. Dad joined us, giving me a pat on the back until she released me and then hugging me himself. I made my way through the family, each embrace long and tender.

"Oh, mtoto," Mom breathed, clasping her hands together. She had finally gathered herself, although the tear tracks through the flower on her face were hilarious to witness. They all looked at me for a moment, happiness clear. Moments later, it seemed as if their eyes moved as one to Rogue and Josefina. Mom and Nana's eyes widened, and I blushed crimson as Nana nudged Mom with her elbow wordlessly. Dad and Papa were looking him up and down critically.

"Come in, boy," Dad said, a small smirk on his face.

Here we go.

*******************************************************************************************