xliii. endings, beginnings

Start from the beginning

Tony's eyes twinkled under the spotlight as he began reading from the words Aster had stayed up all night writing,

"I've been staring at this piece of paper for hours now. Where the hell— wait, probably shouldn't say hell... Where the heck do I start?

When I was six years old, I fell to Earth and was taken in by the people you all know as Earth's Mightiest Heroes. To me, they're family. It was hectic, I won't lie. Growing up surrounded by a bunch of adults with supernatural abilities. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. I was eleven when the public began calling me Starlight. Yup, probably younger than you thought. And now, I'm nearly eighteen years old. 

I almost died a few months ago," Tony paused, composing himself with a shallow breath. The audience was impossibly silent. "And I would do it all again in a heartbeat if it meant I could keep the entire universe safe.

It is my honor to receive this award. From the bottom of my heart, I thank each and every person listening to this for any ounce of support you have given me. But I can't accept the recognition without pointing out that I wouldn't have been able to do it without the other heroes of the universe.

You know many of them. Some, you may not. Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Thor Odinson, Clint Barton, Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, Spider-Man, Sam Wilson, James Rhodes, Wanda Maximoff, Scott Lang, Hope van Dyne, Pepper Potts, Peter Quill, Gamora, Nebula, Drax, Mantis, Rocket, Groot, Wong, Bucky Barnes, T'Challa Udaku, Shuri Udaku, Okoye, M'Baku, Valkyrie, Carol Danvers, Korg, the remaining Asgardians, the Ravagers, and the entire Wakandan army. These names should be recognized for their heroic efforts as well.

But I have a few more people to honor. Those who have given their life for our safety. Natasha Romanoff and Vision are to be thanked. And I know this one is unexpected, but Loki Odinson can be added to that list. Yes, the same Loki that invaded New York back in 2012. He was one of the many who died in our efforts against Thanos. I would also like to recognize Pietro Maximoff for giving his life back in 2015 during our fight against Ultron. Like the others have done many times, he saved my life that day.

Life is short. I hope that you all have been reunited with your loved ones. Hold them a little tighter and let them know how much you love them every day.

It has been my honor for you all to trust me in protecting you. I used to be a kid with some crazy powers who was terrified of how big the universe was. But now, well... Part of me still is that kid. The only thing different is that now, I'm not so scared of how big the universe is. It has so much to offer us.

There was a one in fourteen million chance that we would defeat Thanos. And we did. Call it luck or call it fate, but let me give you one piece of advice." Tony stopped, failing to stifle a smile. "Don't let anyone decide who you are. Don't let fear win. Be who you want to be. We only have one life... and there's a difference between simply surviving and truly living."

As he reached the end of Aster's handwriting, Tony pursed his lips with pride swelling in his chest. The audience was quiet, just as they had been for the entirety of the speech. Captivated by Aster's words.

Then, the crowd roared to life with applause. Twice as loud as when the President had first presented the award. People began chanting Starlight over and over again. It was a magical moment.

It took a few minutes for the crowd to calm down enough for the questions to roll in. Reporters held their microphones high, trying to get Tony to pick them out of the crowd. Still, with a smile on his face, he hummed, nearly laughing to himself when he saw Christine Everhart at the front of the group. He pretended to ponder pointing at her, but instead, chose a younger woman who was nearly being crushed by the others. "You," he said, making her eyes go wide. "Fire away."